Jordan H
Jordan H, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A.A.S. Networking and Communication, A+, Server +
24473357

how to remove password for router

Customer Question

how to remove password for router
Category: Networking
Expert:  LANCAT replied 4 years ago.

Try using a pen or paper clip to press the reset button on the back of the device. Keep the button pressed until the lights in the front of the Netgear router start flashing. The router will reboot after resetting the configurations.

Open a internet explorer browser window and enter 192.168.1.1
the Netgear router configuration console will open and will prompt you to enter username and password

Enter the default username and password. Now that settings have been reset, you can use the Netgear global default username and password XXXXX below:
username: admin
password: 1234 or password

Unplug the router's power cable if these passwords do not work. If you are still unable to login, the router may not have been reset. While the router is unplugged, hold the reset button for 20 seconds before plugging in the power cord. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to gain access to the router, using the new admin username and password

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still can not reset linksys router
Expert:  LANCAT replied 4 years ago.
I will opt out as i am out of idea however other experts here may help.
Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to see if I can further help you with this issue

Do you have a computer that is hardwire to the router? If so, it will make it a little easier on us.

On that computer that is hardwire, could you please follow the steps below and report back to me.

Check IP address with ipconfig

First, let’s check your IP address on your computer. To do that, please hit the Start button. In the start search box or run box (XP only), type cmd and press enter.

This will bring up a black Command Prompt. In this Command prompt type in ipconfig. Please, post back the results of your ip address, subnet mask and default gateway.

Once I have this information, I can further help you in getting your problem taken care of.

Thanks

Jordan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

on hard wired computer.

IPv4 192.168.1.101

Subnet 255.255.0

Default Gate way 192.168.1.1

Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
Perfect. Try clicking here to see if you can get to the login page for your router.

If it asks you for a user name and password, leave the username field blank and type in admin for the password.

After logging in, you will see a wireless tab at the top. Click it. From that screen you should see your wireless network name SSID. You can change this if you want to. If it is set to linksys, I highly recommend changing it to something else to help avoid confusion. Make sure to click save if you do change it.

Now click on the wireless security page. There you will be able to see your encryption. From here you can select your encryption type. Depending on your options, WPA-Personal TKIP is normally the recommend setting for most computers. Select it or any other encryption standard that you may want.

Now you we need to put in a network password (Pre-shared key). This is the password XXXXX will be required to connect to the wireless. Remember to hit save again.

Now test your new settings on your wireless computers.

If you have any problems with any of the steps, please post back and I will gladly further assist you.

Thanks

Jordan

Jordan H, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A.A.S. Networking and Communication, A+, Server +
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Excellant! Got in. Had to use admin as well. thanks!
Expert:  Jordan H replied 4 years ago.
Your very welcome! Thank you very much. Please, come back to Just Answers anytime. I hope you have a wonderfull day.

Jordan