Mark Church
Mark Church, System Administrator
Experience:  Network Certified through Intel's Premier Provider program. 25 years of experience in computers.
18940083

I have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router trying to set up.

I have a Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHz router trying to set up. Model WRT54G V8 and serial # XXXXX Tried using the EasyLink Adisor and keep getting "Router not supported" after doing all steps and checks. This router has never worked since getting it 1+ yr ago after purchasing it... when I finally gave up. I now have 2 laptops I want to setup on the wireless. Will you help? Dan
Category: Networking
Expert:  Mark Church replied 4 years ago.

Since we can get the EasyLink advisor to work less try the internal Web interface of the Linksys router.

In the instructions I will give below it will ask you for a login name and password.
In the login name try the word admin.
And for the password XXXXX the word admin.

If this does not work try leaving the login name blank and then for the password XXXXX the word admin.
One of these two should work.

Instructions for Linksys Router login and security setup.

Here are some instructions on how to set up the router.

You may have to try the direct wire method by connecting a cable to the back of the router in the LAN 1 port and connecting the other end into your Ethernet port on your computer.

You can connect a computer to the router with a cable and open a browser

by typing http://192.168.1.1/

This will bring up the router's internal Web configuration page you'll be able to login to the router and configure it .

Your Linksys wireless router has a web page built in for setting it up.

You hook a cable from the computer to the back of the Linksys router LAN 1 connection.

Then you try the IP address. It will bring up a default web page on the router.

If it does not you may have to reset the router to default configuration.

Please reply back if you need instructions on how to set up or reset the router to the factory default settings.

You can connect a computer to the router with a cable and open a browser at http://192.168.1.1/ and configure it .

Alternate address you can try to access the router's web-based setup using "192.168.2.1" as the IP address.

Once you're in this web screen you will see a few forms that you need to fill out with basic information.
Try going to the webpage that I mentioned above and running the setup routine that is built into the router.

The password XXXXX you haven't changed the default would be.

user name admin

password XXXXX

or user name blank

and password XXXXX

Go to the section you need , for example if you are just changing the security key then skip down to that section of the instructions.

If you did a factory reset you may need to pick which one of the types of suppliers you have for your Internet either the phone companies DSL or cable companies connection.

Initial setup and cable or DSL companies selections.

For Phone company setup DSL providers use PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet) to establish Internet connections for end-users. To set up a Linksys router, you need to enable PPPoE on the router's web-based setup page.

For Cable service

When the router's web-based setup page appears, click the drop-down arrow under the Internet Connection Type field and select Automatic Configuration - DHCP.

Then do MAC address clone. Save settings.

Security settings.

Any changes to security will require that the same changes be made to your laptop.

If you secure your router your laptop will not connect until the same changes are made in the computers security configuration.

For setting up the security look at some of the following examples.

First you need to decide if you want to do WEP security, or the more common WPA security.

If you just want to use a pre-shared key then go with the WPA security and skip to that section below.

The best type of security would be the WPA -- AES the reason that this is better is that the encryption does not cause a throughput loss if you use the other types of encryption the encryption and decryption of the data causes throughput loss.

You'll have to go back into the Linksys setup program and make a few changes.

Click Wireless Security

The WEP security settings example.

One of the changes will be to set up a WEP key setting.
In order to enable it the WEP configuration needs to be set to mandatory.
Linksys will support both 64-bit and the 128 bit encryption it is better to use the 128 bit encryption for better security.
To set the key click the WEP key settings button on the main setup page, you also need to set up a passphrase password.

A passphrase can be up to 31 characters long, enter one and then click generate, this will create a key for you to use.

You will need Key 1, it will be your WEP key.

Don't forget that the WEP keys are in hexadecimal format, that's a strange language the computers use.

That means they only use numbers zero through nine and letters A through F. this means that any letter for example a letter X would not work in one of the keys.

The WPA security settings example.

Another form of security is WPA

Go to wireless security tab and enter a WPA shared Key ( This key is your secret key) and pick TKIP security mode WPA Personal.

Another form of security is WPA2

Select WPA2 Personal

WPA = AES

Group Key Renewal is 3600 seconds.

WPA Shared Key is your secret password XXXXX you would use on the laptops to connect. They would have to be set to which ever security you use.

The WAP security settings example.

Another form of security is WAP

Systems authentication permits any client to use the WAP as long as they know the SSID.

Shared key authorization uses the WEP key as a shared key to be exchanged between the client and the WAP as a simple form of authentication.

Make this something that you can remember because you will need to install it on your notebooks wireless settings.

WEP must be enabled to use shared key authentication.

The "both" setting permits Either of these methods to work. The default method in the Linksys WAP is both.

I hope this helps.

If you secure your router your laptop will not connect until the same changes are made.

Click reply if you have any specific questions about this answer.
Click accept when you get everything running and that will close the question and transfer the money.

Keep me posted with your progress, Mark
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mark,
Thanks. No progress. I'm still not getting past step 1. Tried login as admin (blank not accepted). It is no longer asking me for a password. Does this mean it's keeping my previous password XXXXX that';s causing a problem?

I tried shutting down the Advisor completely and starting over. Still no password XXXXX Dan

Just about all of those routers from that timeframe leave the login name blank and password XXXXX admin.
Sometimes they use login name admin

password XXXXX XXXXX word password

or sometimes its just login name admin and password admin.

but generally for your model the login name is XXXXX XXXXX the only thing you type in what the password XXXXX was admin.
It could be that your router has had its internal password XXXXX
See to hold down the reset button with an ink pen for 30 seconds and let it do a factory reset which will reset the passwords and everything back to the original factory settings.

Try this and let me know your progress.
Mark

Edited by Mark Church on 12/26/2009 at 7:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
still same result - router not supported. this after i reset 2x and tried the login with admin 2x. the second time after restarting the Advisor tool.

what next?

Okay I don't want you to be using the advisor tool I want you to be trying to login from a webpage.
Bring up Internet explorer and type the IP address into Internet Explorer.

by typing http://192.168.1.1/

Try this and let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the website http://192.168.1.1/ isn't working... says "timed out".

Also my computer is cabled directly to get internet access--so i don't have another cable connwection to the router. i tried connecting my computer thru the router to access the
http://192.168.1.1/ site but no access. how is this suppoed to connect?
You'll need to cables to make this work.
One will go between the router and the computer and the other one will go between the modem and router.
The router was bundled with an ethernet cable so there may still be one in the original box.
But before you run out and get a new cable disconnect the cable from the back of the modem and plug it into the router's LAN port number one.
Then type in the IP address I gave you for and let me know if it gives you a login name and password XXXXX
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a;l the cables needed. here are the connections i've made and tried: 1) cable from modem into router internet port 2) cable from computer into LAN 1 port. All buttons lit as supposed to... WLAN, Ethernet 1, and Internet.

when i connected cable from modem to LAN 1 as you suggested, the Internet button isn't lit and no access. no connection trials are working.

Do you have two tables?

I don't want you to connect the modem to LAN one I want you to connect the computer to the LAN one.

While leaving that cable connected I want you to connect a second cable from the Internet port on the back of the router to the ethernet port on the back of the modem.
This will require two tables.
Then you should have the power light
the Internet lite

And the LAN one light lit on your router.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, that's what i've been doing with 2 cables--making the connections you just described. the lights are all lit but when tryoing to connect to the http://192.168.1.1/ site it times out as not available

Okay thanks for your patience I know this is long and arduous work.

Have you tried doing the router reset button?

You hold down the reset button on the back of the router with an ink pen for 30 seconds until all of the lights quit flashing.
And then try logging into the router.

If this doesn't work I am beginning to think that you may have a defective router.
Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. i reset the router 2x for 30 seconds each. as for the defective router, this is the second router from Linksys. The first one i bought didn't work, i sent it in and they determined faulty and replaced with this one. However, i could never get this one to work either and i finally gave up. are these routers that problematic or is it thati'm just lucky? i thought i was going with the high rated name brand.

No, I never have this many problems with one of these routers.

If I were you I would stay away from Vegas.Laughing

With everything hooked up as we discussed.

Go to control panel and then go to network connections.
Right-click on the network connection for your LAN interface it should say that it is connected.
When you right-click on it find the text that says repair this connection.
This will force the connection to regenerate a DHCP connection.
Then try the IP address again.
Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it was working for awhile. I got to the router page. I completed the security settings page, but it didn't provide any options for WPA--AES or WEP for that matter. When i went to move on to set-up, it's been contiuously searching for a connection. is wireless much less reliable as a connection? i lost all connection.

so i remain confused about all of this. will the changes i made and saved remain so far? i couldn't continue to the security and resulting changes for set-up and laptop configurations. the security page only provided 4 options, none of which matched your description for WEP, WPS--AES or WAP. where do i go from here? i'm running out of time to spend on this today.

If you go back into the wireless set up under the wireless security you'll see a green security button.
It is called the secure easy set up

But it sounds like to me that you just have the security turned to disable.
If you enable it then all of the other things I told you about earlier should show up as a security mode.
And yes a wired connection is much easier to work with than a wireless connection.

Linksys has a manual for this online and it will explain this to you on page 9.

http://downloads.linksysbycisco.com/downloads/WRT54G-v5_ug.pdf

Give this a try I am about to leave for the day I will be back tomorrow, just reply back if you have any further needs. Good luck with your project. Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mark,
i have redone all steps and got as far as click thru on the green security button. at that point i keep losing connection and have to start all over. i have also downloaded the manual. very frustrating. my patinece for this is wearing thin. i can't throw more time into this expectiong different results. i don;t know if it's a faulty router or something i'm doing. i believe the best thing is for me to just buy a new router and start over and hope this works out.

Thanks for your help and answers. how do we end this so it's fair to you? Dan

I'm sorry you were not able to get it to work, but it is up to you if you want to accept the answer or not.

I would not think badly of you if you did not because you did not get it to work.

You can reply back with what you would like to do.
If you click accept the answer that will transfer the money and close the question.
If you reply back and ask for a refund I can notify the web host and see if they can process a refund for you.
Either way we just want you to be happy.
Happy new year, Mark

Mark Church, System Administrator
Experience: Network Certified through Intel's Premier Provider program. 25 years of experience in computers.