Pat, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  10 years of Systems and Network Experience, Cisco Certified

Hello, I am having a problem with getting internet connection

Customer Question

I am having a problem with getting internet connection after connecting my Linksys WRT110 router to my AT&T DSL/Cable modem. I went through the entire setup process with no problem. I went to connect to the wireless network on my laptop and it said i was connected, but Im not connected to the internet. It says it cannot connect to the dns server. Come to find out that my pc isnt even connected to the internet anymore either... help please!!

Category: Networking
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Do you have DSL (comes in over the phone line) or Cable (comes in as a coaxial cable)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
DSL connections used to require that your router be configured for PPPoE operation in order to "log in" to the DSL network. I noticed that this has changed, but if your DSL modem is an older model then you will still need to configure PPPoE.

Log into your router and see if on the primary setup screen where it currently says "Use DHCP" if there is an option for "PPPoE". Your username and password XXXXX be the same that you use for accessing your AT&T e-mail on the website.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay normally i am very tech savy but how do i log into my router
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Open a web browser on a computer that is directly connected to the router (via ethernet). Enter this address:

When it asks for a username and password XXXXX "admin" for both (without the quotes). The first page the router loads is the one where you configure connection type and you'll find a pulldown menu that will let you choose PPPoE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm currently trying to get my mom to find her AT&T username and password. Sorry for the delay
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
no problem, you can reply to this thread anytime
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok so I've changes it to pppoe now what do I do
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My pc still says limited or no connectivity. I tried to repair it and it said it couldn't do so because it couldn't renew my IP address
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so now i just tried to renew my IP addres with cdm or whatever and when i typed in ipconfig/renew it said it couldnt connect to my DHCP network
Expert:  Pat replied 6 years ago.
Hmm, you have to keep DHCP enabled on the router for your local network. In order to reconnect it you'll have to manually specify an IP address.
Open the properties for the ethernet adapter on your computer and switch it from DHCP to a static IP address. Use this information:

Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway (Router):

DNS Servers:
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont know how to open properties for my ethernet cable......