Eric K.
Eric K., Network Administrator
Experience:  13 years of desktop, server and network support experience

When i enter an IP address into my web browser Http // is

Customer Question

When i enter an IP address into my web browser "Http://" is automatically inserted in from of the IP address and then I receive a "Not Found" message, I have a LinkSys router connected and am trying to get the securing string for a new laptop.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Eric K. replied 6 years ago.
The default IP of most Linksys routers is Is that what you're putting in your browsers address bar?

Edited by Erick on 12/6/2009 at 7:19 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. My wife has AOL on this machine. AOL appears to be intercepting the search. Aftr the Enter the search appears as " yadda yaddda yadda. Do you know how to stop this behavior?

Expert:  Eric K. replied 6 years ago.
You should be able to just open Internet Explorer from the Start, All programs menu and get to it that way. The home page that comes up doesn't really matter. You just want to make sure you're typing at the very top of the browser in the address bar, not the search box on the home page or anywhere else. Another thing you can try is to go to Start and and select run, then in the run box enter and that should bring it up as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I used the RUN box and received a wndows cannot access the specified device. This is a multiuser PC and I am not the administrator. I'm going to need to change user at this point.

Expert:  Eric K. replied 6 years ago.

You don't need to be an administrator to access the routers configuration. The problem may be that is not the IP address of your router. You can find out what routers IP address is by opening up a command prompt (Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt) and at the prompt type the following and press enter

You should see some information scroll by in the window. If you find the item labeled Default Gateway and look to the right, that should be the address of your router. Then you can go to Start and Run and put http:// in front of it and that should open your router configuration.