Eric K.
Eric K., Network Administrator
Experience:  13 years of desktop, server and network support experience
19720869

Hi; I am trying to remote view a camera system, using my WRT54GV5

Hi;
I am trying to remote view a camera system, using my WRT54GV5 linksys. The DVR is through Port Forward system and I have programmed the 5700 through the games section of the router. When I use port checker to view the cameras, it says the port is open, but it will not give me a picture. What am I doing wrong? Is there something else I should be doing with the Linksys???
Thanks for your help
barb
Category: Networking
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
I would be happy to help you figure this out. What is the address you are putting into your browser to test the camera?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
192.168.1.5
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
That is an internal address. To view it remotely, you need to use your public IP address. To find out your public IP, go to http://www.whatismyip.com and it will give you your public IP address. To test your remote camera, you will need to use a computer outside your network (you cannot test it from inside your network) and go to http://(public IP):5700 If you would like to give me the public IP from that web page, I would be happy to test it for you and let you know if it's working.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Eric;

the ip address for this computer is 70.33.139.141

But I don't know if you received my earier question about whether I needed to hardwire this computer with the linksys or is it OK with the card?

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
The computer should not have any effect on the communication of the camera system. Do you know the IP address of the DVR? Is that the 192.168.1.5 address?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Erick;

I show the DVR address as 192.168.001.010

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Okay, and in your router under the Applications & Gaming section, you have a port forward setup that has a Start and End port of 5700, Protocol Both, and the IP address is 192.168.1.10 and the Enable checkbox is checked, is that right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hold on and let me go back into linksys system to make sure that's what I have
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It ask for my static ip and I used 192.168.1.0
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Erick;

What I programmed in the linksys, is as follows:

dvr from 5700 to 5700 tcp 192.168.1.0 in the applications and gaming section and saved those settings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also, when I go back in after save has been successful, the numbers are cancelled and it doesn't show up like I just entered above. what gives?
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
You said 192.168.1.0 but it should be 192.168.1.10. Make sure that's what you have in there and that the Enable checkbox is checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It won't accept 1.10 It says invalid ip address
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, check box wasn\t checked, so now it is accepted. what do I do to test it?
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Did you make sure that you had 192.168.1.10 in there instead of 192.168.1.0 ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yep, now have the following:

dvr from 5700 to 5700 both 192.168.1.10 and checked box

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
I still don't see it responding remotely. What is the model of your DVR system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is a : Vc-sys-4web25rv

leadertech 4 channel mpeg dvr

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
I cannot find the model number you provided anywhere. Is it the VC-SYS-4WEBH264?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the back it has 25rv after the web, but I don't see 264 anywhere. i bought it from home security store and this is the model they have listed and on the front of the machine it shows the VC-SYS-4WEB25RV
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
That's strange. A Google search for that model comes up with absolutely no results.

Well let's see what we can figure out. How do you access the DVR locally from your computer? Or can you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot access locally. The DVr is connected to the cameras and hard wired to the linksys router. Is there some way I should be accessing it via this computer that is air carded to the linksys /
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Normally you would just browse to the IP address that is assigned to it from your browser. For example, http://192.168.1.10 But did you read somewhere in the manual about forwarding port 5700?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Port Forward is the program they suggest I use to set up the system and it tells me to program 5700 to 5700 into the linksys applications.
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Port Forward isn't a program, it's a process. That's what you setup in your router.

Let's just see if your DVR is even responding on the network. Open a command prompt (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt). At the prompt, type the following and press enter.

ping 192.168.1.10

Notice the space between ping and the address. You should get four responses. Please let me know if these responses say "Reply From" or "Request Timed Out".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Erick;

You should be able to dial in to the dvr directly on the primary DNS:

168.095.001.001. See if it shows up for you?

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
That is the internal IP address of your router. That is not available from the internet. Please let me know what happens when you run that ping command.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you want me to run ping on the 192.168.1.10
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
using the 192.168.1.10 it times out.
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Okay, so that means your DVR is not working on the network. Are you able to access it somehow so you can see the network settings? There should be a setting for the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway. Apparently the IP should be 192.168.1.10 but can you verify that and also tell me what the address are for the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IP - 192.168.001.010

gate .001

net 255.255.000

primary dns 168.095.001.001

sec. dns 139.175.055.244

port 5700

This is what shows up on the network setting of the DVR

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Erick;

Does the ip change?

Here is the new reading:

IP 192.168.001.004

gate 192.168.001.001

net 255.255.255.000

dns and sec dns same as before

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.

It looks like the information has changed. It may be set to automatically obtain the network settings. This is also referred to as DHCP. You will need to set the network settings manually. There should be an option for that. Make sure the settings are as follows.

IP Address: 192.168.001.010

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000

Gateway: 192.168.001.001

Primary DNS: 192.168.001.001

Secondary DNS: 004.002.002.002

After you save those settings, turn the DVR off and then back on. Then see if you can ping it again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, it let me set the primary and secondary, but it's tryin to skip the ip and gateway. Give me a minute. This must be a female (like me) cause it's so contrary......
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, I was able to change to what you wanted, then saved, turned off and back on. it went to static rather than dhcp. Is that right? Now what do you want me to do?
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.

Yes, sounds like you did it right. Try to run that ping command at the prompt again and let me know if it responds with a "Reply from" instead of timing out.

ping 192.168.1.10

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, all messages sent and received. Now what?

If you get this thing working you are worth your weight in gold.....

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I shut down the linksys and turn back on to assure the new address for port 5700 is there?
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Hey, look at that, it's working. Well, at least I got a username and password XXXXX from your DVR. I suspect that if I were to login everything would be fine.

You should be able to access it from within your network by browsing to

http://192.168.1.10:5700

and remotely from any other computer connected to the internet by going to

http://70.33.139.141:5700

One thing to keep in mind is that your public IP will likely change from time to time. That's the 70.33.139.141 address. If you ever have trouble accessing it remotely, you'll need to go back to http://www.whatismyip.com and find out what your IP address is. You have to do that from within your network, you can't do that remotely or you'll get the IP of wherever you are instead.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am delighted. Only problem is the password XXXXX't work. At least the one I used for the dvr didn't. any ideas on how to get to the password?????

By the way, how do I pay you extra and get in touch with you when I have other issues????

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to the dvr and checked the user and password. Put them in exactly as written and the prompt came up, "403 Forbidden

your client does not have permission to get URL from this server

How mean is that!

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
The password XXXXX be set from your DVR screen. You'll want to change it as the username and password XXXXX XXXXX set to the default which will let anyone connect. The username is XXXXX XXXXX the password XXXXX XXXXX

You also apparently have to be using Internet Explorer for the DVR to work properly in the browser.

Once you click Accept no my answer, you are given the option of adding a Bonus. And for your reference, I'm about 160lbs but I'm not sure what the current rate for gold is :-)

If you ever want to get in touch with me directly, you can post a question here and just ask for me or you can post a question using my profile page which will give me an opportunity to answer first and then be opened up to other experts if I can't reply right away. Here's the link to my profile page:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=19720869&FID=0
Eric K., Network Administrator
Experience: 13 years of desktop, server and network support experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what is the url that they are forbidding me from gettting?

You are really good, but at $1,000+ per ounce, I may have to write an IOU and pay on installments. I still am forbidden and did change the user name on the dvr screen. Can you get on right now, using admin admin and see my farm????

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Are you accessing it using the http://192.168.1.10:5700 address using Internet Explorer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, using my verizon wireless card on my mac to remote access and see if I can see it from an outside computer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm using the 70.33.139.141:5700 for remote access, right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am getting the mpg dvr remote fine internally, its the external that's a fit.
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
You cannot access the DVR with the remote address from inside your network. You actually have to be on a computer outside of your network. I'm able to access it fine from here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
me, too! Thanks ever so much. accepted and paid bonus. Not near enough, but will catch you for more on the next trip!
thanks again
barb
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Glad I could help you get to the bottom of that! Thanks for the bonus, I really appreciate it.