Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

how do I secure my westell 327W

Customer Question

how do I secure my westell 327W
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Can you confirm you just have the Westell unit connected to your machine and that you do not have an additional router.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not have it connected with a cable, but I found the cable
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

So you just have your computer connected to teh Westell and nothing else, Is that correct?

I just want to make sure it is the Westell modem we need to configure and not a different router?

Also can you tell me who your internet provider is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am accessing the router, but don't have a physical connection. I can plug in the cable if you want. I think i found the right place. Verizon is out provider
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you turn the Westell unit over and tell me exactly what is written on the label on the base of the modem.

Then can you connec the hardwire from your machine to the E1 port on your Westell unit then reboot your machine and see if you can get online so we can check the settings on the modem.

graphic

Let mw know

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i get back to you after I reboot?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Just click the link in the email you ahould have received or just come back to justanswer.com and it will bring you back here.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will reboot now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have restarted
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me what is on the label on the bottom of the westell.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model 890-327w5-06 Rev D

do you want more?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

No that should do it,

Can you click Start then in the search box can you type CMD then hit enter to open a DOS window.

From there can you type ipconfig then hit enter and make a note of the Gateway address which should be something like 192.168.1.1

Once you have that can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it can you type admin as the username and password XXXXX the password)

Once logged into the router can you then click Configuration then choose wireless then choose security

Once the page opens can you then choose the type of security you want, such as WEP then enter a 10 digit number such as your phone number in the passphrase box then click Save.

Once you have done can you wait approximately 2 minutes then try to connect to your wireless network using the new password XXXXX just set by clicking start then connect to and selecting your network then choosing connect and entering the password.

try that and let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm starting now -- will let you knoW
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Just let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i get a list of pages and links not a prompt for a password. I am using the ipv4 number.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me what the IPV4 number is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
192.168.1.47
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Can you try with 192.168.1.1 and let me know what happens

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
a lot of page links - most offering help
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

when you typed the ipconfig command can you tell me if you got a default gateway number?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes 192.168.1.1
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

so if you click this link http://192.168.1.1 what happens?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Getting c;oser -- goes to VersaLink Wireless Gateway with 3 sections: 1- My network ..unknown name... 2- My gateway ...Connection type PPP, Username duboisjr1 IP address 72.75.16.218 3-My network ... Connect type Unkown ip address 192.168.1.47
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Do you have a toolbar accross the top?

If not can you tell me what options you have?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I guess ...

back Ask Search Web, a key hole with down arrows on either side, highlight, more>> , X, windows flag, box with Bing and magnifying glass, >> Sign in

Nextlinw Favorites, Star with arrow, Web Slice Gallery,

Next line tabs with quesion -- on right House, arrow, mail, print, page, safty, tools,?

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Does anything look like the toolbar in this screen shot?

graphic

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, but I did get to one with Main, Wireless Settings,My Network, Firewall Settings, Advanced and System Monitoring
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Great,

Can you choose Wireless settings and then let me know if you can then click security and follow the directions I posted

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I get 401 Authorization Required -- I tried admin and password

Then I tried verizon acct id and password XXXXX same results

Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

Damn,

That means you are going to have to call verizons tech support to get the login information as we cannot reset it to factory and I have no idea what the login will be.

If you can follow this link then choose callus and enter your zip it will give you the correct phone number for support http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs/

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Verizon took care of it --- Thank you for your time
Expert:  Claws224 replied 4 years ago.

More than welcome,

If we can be of any help in the future please let us know

Thanks