Eric K.
Eric K., Network Administrator
Experience:  13 years of desktop, server and network support experience

My laptop is not recognizing my wireless connection, I know

Customer Question

My laptop is not recognizing my wireless connection, I know its not the router because I am using an old laptop and it connects fine. I have a intell(R)Wifi Link 5100 AGN, I don't know if that could be the problem. I have been working on it for hours and can't figure it out. Thanks.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
I would be happy to help you figure this out. First, I just need a little more info. Is the problem that your laptop is unable to view any available wireless networks? Or can you see your network but just not connect to it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it shows me two networks that I have never seen before and it will not connect to either of them when I try. When I select "change the orderr of the conections" it does list my wireless router but its got a red x through it along with a few others i use like Boingo.

Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Does it say Intel PROSet/Wireless at the top of the window where you are viewing these networks?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, it says intell(R)Wifi Link 5100 AGN which is weird cause I think it used to say Iintel Proset, that's what this older laptop has.

This is so cool that you are helping me wish I could have known about this hours ago :)
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
And the laptop you're having trouble with has Windows XP on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Did this laptop ever work on your network or is this the first time you're trying to connect it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've had this laptop since March and am online all the time its worked perfectly. then yesterday I am in the middle of chatting with a friend and Iose connection. I didn't think much of it cause I had to go anyhow, but when I restarted my laptop later this is what was going on. I hadn't changed anything at that point. Its very bizarre.
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
It sounds like your wireless adapter may be disabled. There should either be a switch/button on the outside of the laptop or a function key on the keyboard to turn the wireless on and off. If you can't find the switch just tell me the model of the laptop and I should be able to tell you where it is.
Eric K., Network Administrator
Experience: 13 years of desktop, server and network support experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
oh man that could be it....i can't find a switch its a dell inspirion
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
On the Inspiron's the wireless switch is usually a function key on the keyboard. You press and hold the blue Fn key in the lower left corner of the keyboard and while holding it, press the F2 key at the top of the keyboard then let go. If that's all it was, your laptop should automatically reconnect to your wireless network within a minute or so.
Eric K., Network Administrator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Erick, I found it. You rock my world....and I feel totally stupid that I wasted hours on this and it was MY FAULT and that somehow I did not know about that key. Thank you so much I will tell my friends about you. Smile
Expert:  Eric K. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was able to help!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
take care...and thanks again