James Dwyer
James Dwyer, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  15 years professional technical experience. IT Consultancy Owner

i have recently subscribed to FairPoint DSL. They sent a Westell

Customer Question

i have recently subscribed to FairPoint DSL. They sent a Westell 6100 proline modem. I cannot get it to work with my Netgear WGR614 wireless modem.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

When you plug the computer directly into Westell Do you get a connection?

(Just need to make sure of this before we move on)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, I am using the westell modem right now to chat with you
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

Can you press the reset button in the back of the wireless router for 5 seconds, then hook the Netgear into the computer with the ethernet cable, and insert the Netgear CD, then go through the steps on the screen to set the wireless network back up.

Please let me know, thanks!

Edited by zeyank on 11/22/2009 at 3:25 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have tried that. I reset the netgear router. Then turned off everything. disconnected everything. Then I turned on the modem. Waited 3-4 minutes for it to boot. Next I connected the modem to the netgear router. I then started the router. I waited another 3-4 minutes for it to start, Then I connected the computer (using Windows VISTA) to the router (using a ethenet cable). Then booted the computer. After it was up and running, I clicked on IE (version 8). I could not get any webiste to come up. I tried google.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Did you setup the router with the CD? You didn't mention that part?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, the response is below

While the CD was setting up the connection to the Modem, It it did find the modem and gave a message that the internet connection was detected.

I have looked on the web for a "free solution." I found a link that said both the modem and the router are using the same IP, They suggest resetting the LAN IP on the router to I tried that and several different IPs. None worked.

Here is the response:

Could not connect to the Internet

The problem could be one of the following.
Possible Incorrect Configuration Setting

Check the configuration settings you entered for your Internet service.

Click Back to return to the Internet settings screen:

Possible Incorrect Network Restart Sequence

Restart your network in the correct sequence.

Restart your network in the correct sequence. Then, run the Smart Wizard again.
Click Exit to close your browser.

Possible Smart Wizard Detection Failure

In some rare cases, the Smart Wizard may be unable to detect the type of Internet connection you have.

In this case, go to http://null/basicsetting.htm and follow the instructions in the Reference Manual on the CD for manual configuration.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Can you please try to use the CD in a Non-Vista computer, preferably XP. This router is known to have conflicts setting up in Vista.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just tried to set up the router on an XP operating system. Did not work. I reset the router (paper clip on the back). Turned off everything. Started the modem first. Then the router. Then rebooted the computer. Ran the CD program. Came back to the same error as before.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
Let me opt out and open this to all experts, you will be notified when another expert answers. Thanks and good luck to you.
Expert:  James Dwyer replied 6 years ago.
This sounds like a case of mac address registration from the dsl modem. To fix this, set the router lan address to and if you would give me the version of the WGR614 should look something like WGR614v? with the ? being the number I need. From this I can tell you how to mac clone the router and you'll be working shortly
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. The netgear router is WGR614 V6.

1. Connect the computer that your ISP's installers used to establish Internet connection to the router.

If you are unsure which computer was used, call your ISP, and ask what MAC address was registered. Then, using the instructions in the box below find the computer whose MAC address matches their records.

2. Disconnect other computers from the router.
  3. (If you do not want to disconnect other computers, you need to know the adapter's MAC address, as described in the box below. Then, in step 6, type Use This MAC Address, entering the adapter's address.)

4. In an Internet browser type the address
  5. Type admin for the username, password for the password, and click OK.
  6. Go to the Basic Settings > Router Mac Address.
  7. Select Use Computer MAC Address.
  8. Click Apply. This automatically gives the router the computer's MAC address.
  9. Click Test to make sure you are connected. If you are not connected, contact your ISP.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have to be away from my computer for a couple of hours. I will try this when I get back.

get back to me when you come back, I should be around
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am back. Things have gone from bad to worse. I changed the Lan IP to Now I cannot the netgear basic settings window to come up. I tried typing into my browser window. It cannot find the site. I try, that did not work either.

I reset the router (paper clip pressing into the reset button). That allowed me to access the basic settings window. I made the MAC addess change. That seemed to work. Then I tried to change the Lan IP back to Once again it froze. I think the next thing to do is buy an new router. This one is 2 years old.

Thanks for your help.

wait, wait. reset the router, do the mac thing, and dont change the ip, does it work then?