Shawn
Shawn, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  M.S. and B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
13058298

Im trying to bridge a westell 6100g using verizon dsl to a

Customer Question

I'm trying to bridge a westell 6100g using verizon dsl to a linksys wrk54g router using a dhcp ip address. I can setup the modem to the bridge mode no problem, but the router doesn't seem to be picking up the public ip address (this is what I'm thinking, but I'm no techie). Please help!! I ultimately need to have wireless off of this linksys. THANK!
Category: Networking
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I have the same configuration that you do and must say that it was more of a hassle than it should have been to get set up. That said, I followed this set of instructions on Verizon's website:

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/NetworkSteps/Case6445LinksysWestell6100.pdf

If that's not what you were using before, give those instructions a try and let me know how they work for you. The only change I had to make was letting the line sit for a few hours (e.g., overnight) with the modem and router powered off to allow Verizon's servers to forget about the IP address that the Westell had checked out before you connected the Linksys. You can also call Verizon's tech support line and ask them to reset the lease on your line, but it can take awhile for them to do it.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you run into any more problems and I'll be glad to try and help. Kind regards,

Shawn

Edited by Shawn on 11/7/2009 at 8:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the suggestion Shawn. I'm in Oregon, an ex-GTE area, so our DSL through Verizon uses the DHCP protocol. so, I'm guessing that I should use the "Obtain IP Address Automatically" option on the Linksys router setup, instead of PPPoE, right? Also, I just found a way to use the command line to release the current IP address, so that should eliminate the waiting time, don't you think? The other question, is that I don't have any usernames yet for the verizon account (they hooked me up a few days early, and say those won't be ready until next monday), but I've seen recommendations to use verizon.net and westell.com in the host name and domain name fields, respectively, on the linksys setup. Is that necessary, and would those be the correct names and formats? THANK YOU!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OH, also, I'm reading about needing to clone the MAC address from the modem to the router. I've seen conflicting suggestions on how to do that. One says that you take the MAC from the label on the modem, go to the linksys setup, enable MAC Cloning, enter in the address, and click save. SOmething else said to check the modem status page, copy down THAT mac address, and enter it the same way. Then there's a button on the linksys setup page that is labeled "CLONE ADDRESS" and it puts in some other mac address into the field. Do I need to do this, and what is the proper way to do it? THANKS!

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

1) Yep, you should most likely use "Obtain IP Address Automatically"

2) The command line IP address release will instruct your computer to release its IP address, not the modem. This won't help - what you want is for the modem to release the IP address it had checked out when it was in router mode. I believe there is a way to release the IP address (or DHCP lease) in the firmware. What model of modem do you have (from the sticker on the back - should be a string with several dashes in it)

3) You can use verizon.net as your host name and domain name, but ultimately it's not necessary

4) MAC address cloning. You want to put the MAC address of the modem into your router. The CLONE ADDRESS button you refer to will clone the MAC address of your computer into the router, which is not what you want to do (yeah, this stuff is really confusing). You want to do the first thing you said: take the MAC from the label on the modem and put it into the Linksys setup.

5) Make sure to turn the power off on all of your devices (router, modem, computer) and then turn them back on, starting with the modem, waiting until each one "boots" before starting the next. This will increase the likelihood that the parts will initialize properly.

Give these ideas a try and let me know where that brings you to. I hope this helps! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Shawn - my model number is XXXXX I'll try setting it up the way you just said and seeing if I can release the IP address. I see the release button in the modem setup screens, but I've read that it doesn't really release it - it just immediately reacquires. Can I tell how long until it releases by the time left on the lease on the system monitoring (modem) screen? it is timing down.

Thanks!

Tracey

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Tracey,

Westell doesn't have a manual posted for that modem because Verizon uses, but it can't hurt to try releasing. I didn't have success with doing it in the modem either (this was a couple of years ago, and I'm also on a DHCP-based Verizon connection that was formerly GTE).

If you don't want to just let it sit overnight with the power off, I recommend calling Verizon and asking them to release the lease on the phone. That should clear up your problems in less than an hour.

Let me know how that works for you! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

okay, shawn, I'm gonna try these suggestions. It may take me a while to see if I can get it up and running, but I'll be sure to come back and accept your answer when it does! Thanks for your help - you did clear up the issues for me so at least I know waht needs to get done, and the likely methods of making that happen! Thanks!

Tracey

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One more quick question - the instructions you showed me, said to leave the mode on "routed bridge" and everything else i've seen says both protocol and mode should be simply "bridge". Are those instructions accurate, to use bridge protocol, but routed bridge mode? THanks!

Tracey

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Tracey,

You want "Bridge" mode since you're using DHCP.

You're very welcome! I really wish Verizon would make it easier to do what we're trying to do. It took me half a day to figure it out the first time.

Let me know how this work for you! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, did the bridge/bridge combo, with the mac address from the westell put into the linksys, and the private lan unchecked. turned everything off, and waited a little over 2 hours. power cycled back on and didn't have internet connection, plus could not communicate with westell anymore (after directly connecting cable from it to pc and power cycling both) until I manually reset the modem then power cycled it and the pc. I will give it a try with the bridge/routed bridge combination, although that doesn't seem like it would work, but I will try just to be thorough. ANy more suggestions would be very helpful. We're heading out for a few hours, so I will set it up, leave and try it when we get home, then get back on here and check in again. Thanks.

Tracey

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

alternately, are there any 3rd party routers out now that will work with no hassles with verizon and this westell modem, that are also reliable with other networks (we get transferred all the time, and the next one is coming up within the next couple of months)? I am ready to just go find a best buy, LOL!

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Tracey,

You're going to run into the same problems regardless of what router you use. The problem is the equipment that Verizon provides. You're on the right track, and the issues you're experiencing now are exactly the same issues that I had (and was very frustrated with).

I would leave the settings in the modem on bridge mode and leave everything off overnight. Try powering on in the morning (modem first, wait 1 minute, router second, wait 1 minute, then computer plugged into router via Ethernet, not wireless, just to minimize the number of variables). If that doesn't work, call Verizon tech support and ask them to release the DHCP lease on your line. They'll also tell you to power-cycle everything too.

You're almost there - you've done all of the hard work. Once you get it working you should never have to touch it again (I haven't gone into my modem configuration in 2 years).

Let me know how that works for you! Have a great evening,

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: M.S. and B.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey shawn. Well, before i could try one last time, the modem fried. We've been having some major storms, so maybe it was that. When powered on, the DSL light comes on and stays on, immediately, even if it's not plugged into the phone line, LOL! but, on the bright side, verizon has agreed to send me a wireless gateway for free, and if it doesn't work out of the box, they will send a tech to the house to make it work, also for free. Should arrive on Wednesday. I'm trying to be patient. I'm accepting your answer, even though I never actually got it to work, because you spent a lot of time responding to me and gave me tons of great information about all the different issues I had here. thanks so much!!