Network Bill
Network Bill, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  BSIT, Cisco Certified Network Associate, A+ Hardware, Sun Solaris I, Microsoft Certified System Eng.

Network Magic keep losing my internet connection via Router

Network Magic keep losing my internet connection via Router WRT54G2. I have DSL which is not remembered. What do I do to keep this from happening? This occurs several time a day including when I am actively using the Internet? Thank you. Sandie

Hey sassa!

Who is your DSL company?

Edited by Network Bill on 10/30/2009 at 3:56 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DSL is Frontier

Ok so you have DSL through Frontier and you have their modem, and then their modem connects to the Linksys WRT54G2... correct?

Are you saying that the router keep losing the DSL connection?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think that is what I am saying. The computer icons and the DSL modem/router show all lights on but the network magic icon has a red X thru it. Prior to connecting Linksy a disconnect might happen once a week or so.

How are you online now? Wireless or wired through the Linksys?

With the Linksys in the mix now, does the disconnect problem still occur?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wired thru linksy. Yes, disconnect occurs whether or not I am active on the computer or streaming. Example...composing an e-mail - no connectivity..............streaming to TV - lost connectivity. Thanks for your patience. If this is something I just have to put up with OK. Linksy was purchased soley for streaming to TV - Mom has had a stroke and remains a hemi-pelligic with aphasia. She loves her movies.
Ok you have to make sure that the Linksys Router was configured correctly for DSL, may I ask who setup the router?

Edited by Network Bill on 10/30/2009 at 4:16 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would you believe that I followed the directions supplied via the disc that came with the unit.

Oh boy ok. I will give you the directions for setting up the Linksys for DSL, after this is done, you won't lose connectivity.

(I would print this out and have your provider or someone somewhat tech savvy to help if you aren't comfortable, but if you follow the directions below it will work. You can always go back to installing the cd the same way you connected it this time).

A. Pull the power cord from the Frontier modem, make sure the lights go off.

B. With the Linksys power on, press and hold the reset button on the back, hold it in for about ten seconds. (you may need a pen) This resets it to when you first bought it. Now pull the power cord from the Linksys as well, make sure the lights go off.

C. Turn the Frontier modem back on, wait about a minute.

D. Turn the Linksys back on, ait about a minute.

Now to configure your router for DSL.

1. Obtain the username and password XXXXX your DSL, usually it is your email address. If you don't know it you can call Frontier and have them reset it. (This is case sensitive and you must have it to enter into the router later)

2. Make sure you are wired directly to the Linksys, into either 1 2 3 or 4 on the back. (I think you already are.)

3. Open internet explorer and go to this website. Type and press enter. (Don't type www or anything, just type the numbers)

4. A username/password XXXXX will come up. In the 1st field (just leave it blank), in the 2nd field type admin and click ok.

5. You are now in the Linksys Router.

6. The first drop-down menu choose PPPoE. After you choose that a username and password XXXXX will appear directly below it. Here enter your username and password XXXXX Frontier. Click Save Settings on the bottom.

7. You may get a window stating it was successful, just click continue.

8. Up top now click on the Status tab. Click Connect. The Router will now try to connect to Frontier using your DSL username and password XXXXX a bit. It will either say Connected (in which case you are done!) or it will say Disconnected, this means that you entered the username and password XXXXX and you need to re-enter it and repeat.

9. When you are done just close the internet explorer window.

You can now use the router and Frontier without disconnects.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.