Simit
Simit, Certified Networking Engineer
Experience:  6 Years of experience in Networking. I also have my CCNA, and am close to getting my CCNP.
15190142

Re WRT54G router. How do I set up a secured wifi conneciton

Re: WRT54G router. How do I set up a secured wifi conneciton with my own password XXXXX prevent unauthorized access to my home network?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Simit, This is a disaster. Now I can not access my own network. I'm getting very tired.

I followed your directions to the "pctipguys" site. I printed out their directions and also followed them exactly. When I went then to my laptop in the next room (which had been connecting fine before I "secured" the network) I discovered that I could not access my own network. I tried entering the 26 digit Key 1 "passphrase" and subsequently the new password XXXXX I'd set up. After each of multiple attempts, I got a screen advising that the codes didn't match, that I should consult with the network "administrator". . . presumably me. AArgh! Unhappy!!!!

You can remove the encryption by plugging one of the computers in directly to the router, and following those steps again.