Engineer Lee
Engineer Lee, Network Administrator
Experience:  18+ years professional computer experience; MCP/Cisco/Server /SQL/VB/Unix/VAX/etc training & exp.
23388470

How do I change the channel on my Netgear router (WGT624v3

How do I change the channel on my Netgear router (WGT624v3)?

Just to verify, you are only needing to change your wireless channel being used?
I assume you're having connection issues and want to change the channel to get a beeter signal.

Thanks,
Lee

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes

To login to your router and adjust the channel, please do the following. I would suggest using 6 or 11.

1. Connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
  2. Open an Internet browser and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (by default) in the address bar and press Enter.
    The Login window will be prompting for a Username and Password. The default Username is admin and the default Password XXXXX password
  3. Click Wireless Settings under Setup menu.
  4. Slect the desired channel from the dropdown.
  5. Click Apply

Thanks,
Lee
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Lee,
Thanks for the prompt answer.
When I enter the first IP address, the activity logo goes round and round for a few minutes, then the computer tells me that it's timed out. When I try the second IP address, it immediately asks me for user name and password. I've no idea what they would be. I've used my telephone number in the past with success, but I don't think I've ever been asked for a user name.
Did the default user/pass not work?

If it had been changed, then you would have to reset the router which we can walk through if needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry. Your instructions couldn't have been clearer; I just wasn't concentrating.
I've successfully changed the the channel--from 6 to 11. But I've still got the same problem. After using the cordless phone, the internet connection goes down for about five minutes. The people at my DSL thought that changing the channel would fix the problem, and Netgear thought so too--they wouldn't tell me anything else, which is why I'm communicating with you. Would you suggest that I just keep on changing channel numbers until I hit on the right one?
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the ideal channels to use on a wireless router as they have no overlap of frequency. You can test with all of them.

Make sure your cordless phone base isn't close to your router. Coredless phones will interfere with wireless home routers sporadically.

Thanks,
Lee