Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

I forgot my wireless network key (security) number. My modem

I forgot my wireless network key (security) number. My modem is LINKSYS WRT54G version 6.
How could I recover the key?

Remis from Boston
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 7 years ago.

Hi Remis and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with this question.

There are two basic ways you can recover your wireless key. If you have another computer that is already connected wirelessly, you can download and run the WirelessKeyView tool on your computer from here:

If it works, the tool will display your key in plain text (look in the Key(AscII) column). If that doesn't work, then you can use the instructions below to get the key directly from your Linksys.

1. Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to
  2. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  3. When the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here you wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. Make sure this name matches the network you are trying to join.
  4. Next click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the Pre-Shared Key box.
  5. Enter that password XXXXX your computer when prompted and you should get connected to your network.