Ryan H., Networking Expert
Experience:  A+ IT Certification

Why is my iPod not working the internet

Customer Question

Why is my internet not working on my iPod touch?

Category: Networking
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

I am going to troubleshoot with you to see if this is a network issue. Can you tell me what you have done already to try and connect to your wireless network, or what happens when you try to connect?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I've tried switching networks and it didn't help. I waited for days, still nothing. The weather and iTunes store connects but no Google. When I try to Google I just get a blank page. The little connecting icon appears at the top but it never connects. Also I don't get a message saying "safari is not connected to the internet. I just want to check my news and Google info.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

Let’s power off the iPod, by holding down the power button for 10 seconds.
Turn it back on, and then try to connect.

If that doesn't work, go into your Settings and reset your Network Settings, then try to connect to your wireless network again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It’s still not connecting. It just gives me a blank page with the little icon in the top left.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

Can you open your browser and type in:

Then try to connect to that website.

Let me know if the website opens or you have the same problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am having the same problem. The site doesn't open and the icon in the top left doesn't appear. It says loading but it just looks frozen.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

Try renewing the DHCP lease.

If you are having issues connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot, like at an airport or coffee shop, try renewing your DHCP lease.

1. Tap Settings >> Wi-Fi Networks, then tap More Info icon next to the network.
2. In the DHCP panel, select the Renew Lease button.

Restart the browser and try to connect. If that doesn't work try this:

Try forgetting the network.

Sometimes it's possible to resolve iTouch/iPhone network issues by removing the network connection and letting the device recognize the network from scratch.

Follow the same steps above for opening network settings, but click "Forget Network" to delete the connection.

Wait for your iTouch to disconnect and then reconnect.

If that does not work, restart the iPod and try to connect again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm still getting nothing. Do you think I used the Google too much? If so, why is everything else working like you tube and the iTunes store? I even tried closing all my Google windows, but still nothing.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

I have had two iPod touches, and I have been in the exact same situation as you. There is no clear answer to fix the problem.

I would recommend disconnecting the router from power, forgetting the network again and resetting the network settings, then turn off the iPod, plug the router back into power and 1 minute later turn the iPod on and try to connect.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I downloaded another Google application and it works. I like safari better though. Did I break the safari engine? If so, what to do next?

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

Possibly a bug, make sure you have the latest version of the iPod touch software from iTunes.

You can try this:

/Settings/Safari/Clear History, Clear Cookies, Clear Cache

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My new application is hardly working. It goes to one page but when I try to expand on that page it goes blank with the searching icon. Is my iPod broke if so what to do?

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest restoring the iPod touch back to factory defaults with iTunes (MAKE SURE YOUR IPOD IS BACKED UP FIRST)! And once this is done, the iPod will be back to the way it was when you bought it. Try to connect to the network and see if it works. If it does not, then you might consider setting up a warranty repair.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think it needs repair, how do I go about that?

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

I would suggest backing up the iPod then restoring it from iTunes first as this can solve many issues, but you can request service by going to this link:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I took the address just in case, thanks! But how do I backup and restore?

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.

When you plug the iPod into the computer, it will backup automatically (it should) then you will see a button that says "Restore", click that and it will begin the process.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I tried that and didn't see restore, am I doing something wrong? When I plugged it in it only synced.

Expert:  Ryan H. replied 6 years ago.
  1. Try this:

1. Connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your computer.
    2. Select your iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices (on the left)
    3. Select the Summary tab.
    4. Select the Restore button.