Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator
Experience:  MCP, MCTS, MCSA, A+, over 10 years of working IT experience

HAVE A LYNKSYS WIRELESS-G ACCESS POINT WITH SES SYSTEM. ALL

Customer Question

HAVE A LYNKSYS WIRELESS-G ACCESS POINT WITH SES SYSTEM. ALL OF A SUDDEN WE CAN NOT CONNECT WIRELESS WITH MY BIZ COMPUTERS ALL LIGHTS ARE ON LINK LIGHT POWER LIGHT AND ACT WHAT CAN I DO TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITHOUT RESETTING IT IN THE BACK CAUSE I WOULD LOSE MY FIREWALL WITH IT
Category: Networking
Expert:  Andy Kalita replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i'd be happy to help you with this. You mentioned you left the router unplugged for over 10 minutes, but when you power it back on, all the lights on the front of it are still lit? If lights for the ethernet ports are all lit, can you confirm that you have cables plugged in, in all the ports that are lit up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YES ALL CABLES ARE PLUGGED IN PORTS WHICH ARE LIT UP

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE AN BY UNPLUGGING THE LINKSYS IT USUALLY RESETS BUT HAS NOT DONE THAT SO FAR TODAY

Ok, from the computer that is connected to the router via cable, open Internet Explorer, type 192.168.1.1 in address field and hit Enter.

If asked for username/password, leave username blank and enter "admin" for password (without quotes). Once in, click on Wireless, then change Channel to 11. Make sure Wireless is enabled, as well. Another thing to check would be the antenna in the back (if your model has external antenna), check the connection there.

If this answer was helpful to you, please click "Accept"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
STILL WAITING ON A ANSWER WHATS GOING ON
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THERE IS NO COMPUTER CONNECTED TO THIS ROUTER VIA CABLE. THE CABLE GO FROM A COMCAST BOX TO ANOTHER ROUTER...THEN A CABLE FROM THAT ROUTER TO THE WIRELESS

Ok, can you give me the brand/model of the router connected to comcast box and brand/model of the wireless?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ALL CONNECTIONS RUN OUT OF A SONICSWALL WHICH THEN CONNECT TO THE WIRELESS LINKSYS WAP54G

Ok, so that i understand it correctly, all computers on your network are connecting to Sonicwall, and then your wireless Linksys router is also connecting to the Sonicwall? So your computers still are able to access internet/intranet but if you want to connect wirelessly you can't?

Ok, i will be away from the computer for about 1-1.5 hours, so just wanted to give a suggestion if my previous assumption is confirmed. Connect a PC or laptop directly to the wireless access point. Browse via Internet Explorer to 192.168.1.245 (unless default IP for it has been changed). After loggin in (leave username blank and password XXXXX "admin"), click on Setup, and make sure the wireless is enabled. If the security is set up on it, and you're aware of the settings, make sure it still the same and WAP didn't lose its settings. I usually prefer WPA-Personal(WPA-PSK) setting with passphrase between 8 and 63 characters. Save Settings and try connecting to it wirelessly again.