Engineer Lee
Engineer Lee, Network Administrator
Experience:  18+ years professional computer experience; MCP/Cisco/Server /SQL/VB/Unix/VAX/etc training & exp.

My computer has stopped connecting thru the wireless router.

Customer Question

My computer has stopped connecting thru the wireless router. It connects to the internet thru the modem. How can I check that the router is ok? The rest of the house computers need the wireless part to work.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer Lee replied 4 years ago.
What make and model wireless router do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Linksys- G 2.4 GHz, 54 Mbps
If it is a WRT54G, then it would be easiest to reset it to factory defaults and start from there.

What you will need to do is on the back of the router there is a small depressed button labeled "Reset". Hold that in for at least 30 seconds using a pen or paperclip.

The settings should now be returned to the factory default settings, meaning any changes you had made would be deleted.

Connect a network cable from your PC to a LAN port (1-4) on the router.

Open up your Web browser and enter “192.168.1.1″ in the address bar.

For the login, leave a blank ID and enter “admin” as the password.

Let me know once you can get to that step.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only cable I have is the one connecting my laptop to the modem. If I unplug I will lose internet. How will I get back to You?
ahaha..ok

We'll try one set further.

Reset the router as shown above.
When it resets to factory defaults, it should broadcast a wireless SSID of "linksys".
When the router is back online, scan for new available wireless networks from a computer.

Let me know if you see a "linksys" listed.

To scan, click on Start -> Run
then type ncpa.cpl and press enter.
Right-click on your wireless network connection, and then click View Available Wireless Networks.

Refresh Network list and see if there is a "linksys".

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Linksys is listed .
Great.

Please do this in order so we can connect back up.

1. Unplug your computer from your modem.
2. Plug the network cable from the DSL modem into the Linksys router port labeled Internet.
3. On your computer where linksys is listed, go ahead and click connect in the View Available Wireless Networks box.
4. You should receive an automatic IP address for your wireless. To test try to reconnect to the Internet using your web browser.

If you have any problems up to this point, you can just reconnect directly.
If you can get a basic wireless connection, we can continue on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did not get an IP address when linksys came up as a network. When I transferred the plug to the router, we were disconnected. I am now plugged into the modem directly.
I could not pull up a webpage when on lynksys.
Can you use another computer to connect to the router while your main computer is connected directly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can take it upstairs in the house or I can connect to my neighbors' wireless connection and work on this laptop. But I am not sure I have a cable to connect to the pc upstairs.Looking.
OK great. Let me know if you can locate another cable.

You can also try to connect to the "linksys" network from one of your other computers to isoltae if there is a wireless issue on just the one or not.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I found a cable. Can I use it to connect the router to the modem or better the pc upstairs? We also have a mac laptop available.
I would first try to connect the modem to the router, and the connect your computer wired to the router.

See if you maintain Internet connectivity this way. That would make it easier to relay instructions if you are close.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My modem is connected to the router. ANd my computer is connected to the router.
Great. Click on Start -> Run and then type cmd and press enter.
In the new window, type ipconfig/all > c:\test.txt

Then type c:\test.txt and press enter

A notepad window should open up. Copy and paste the text here so I can review it.
(Ctrl+A to select all; Ctrl+C to copy; Ctrl+V to paste)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mom

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-9E-DB-2C

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:13:19 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 02, 2009 4:13:19 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-4C-E3-8E

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:18:08 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 03, 2009 4:18:08 PM

ok..I do see one issue.
This being the same computer going through the same router for wired and wireless, both adapters should have the same gateway (router IP).

Open your web browser and try to access both of these addresses so we can see which is really the router.

http://192.168.1.1

http://192.168.0.1

If you get a user/password XXXXX leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
192.168.1.1 is the linksys router
192.168.0.1 is the local sbc setup
Connect to 192.168.1.1
user: blank
pass: admin

Go ahead and change the Network Name (SSID) to something unique.
Click on the Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen. Change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default value to something unique (you can use the same name you set as your Router Name in the previous step. Then Disable the Wireless SSID Broadcast option and click Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed.

Refresh your wireless network list on the PC and see if the new name is displayed.

I need to verify that you have a DSL modem.

That will require some custom settings.
Connect to 192.168.1.1

Click on the Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen.
Then Enable the Wireless SSID Broadcast option and click Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed.

Click on the Setup tab at the top of the settings screen and click "Basic Setup".
Look for Local IP Address and change it to “192.168.2.1”

Click Save Settings.

*****You will be disconnected at this point.*****

Renew the computer’s IP address.
Click Start, then Run.
Once the Run window opens, type “cmd” in the Open field, then click OK.
When the MS DOS Prompt appears, type “ipconfig/release” then press [Enter].

Check your computer’s IP address. It should be all zeroes (0.0.0.0).

Once the IP address becomes 0.0.0.0, type “ipconfig/renew” then press [Enter].
Check your computer’s IP address. It should be populated (192.168.2.xxx).

*************************************

Access the router’s web-based setup using “192.168.2.1” as the IP address.

When the router’s web-based setup page appears, click Status and check if Internet IP Address has numbers or values. If the Internet IP Address has numbers, the computer should now be able to access the Internet.

If the IP address is all zeroes (0.0.0.0) click "DHCP Release" or "IP Address Release" first, then click "DHCP Renew".

If the IP address is still all zeroes (0.0.0.0) we will need to enable PPPoE on the router for DSL.

To enable PPoE for DSL:

When the router’s web-based setup page appears, click Setup then look for Internet Connection Type and select PPPoE on the drop-down arrow.

Enter the username and password XXXXX your ISP provided you in the User Name and Password fields, including the domain in the username if necessary such asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Click Save Settings.

Click Status then look for Login Status and check it says Connected. If it’s connected, you should be able to access the Internet.

************************************************

At this point your other computers should be able to see your new network SSID in the available networks list. They should automatically receive an IP address in the range of 192.168.2.xxx.

Edited by Senior Engineer Lee on 10/1/2009 at 10:10 PM EST
Engineer Lee, Network Administrator
Experience: 18+ years professional computer experience; MCP/Cisco/Server /SQL/VB/Unix/VAX/etc training & exp.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I spoke today with an ATT guy for a couple hours and got reconnected. Thanks for your help yesterday.
Can you please remember to leave positive feedback if you are satisfied with the resolution? If not, let me know what issues there are so they can be resolved before leaving poor feedback.

Thanks,
Lee