Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  16 Years experience in Support and Engineering PC/Server/Network field.
21913621

I keep getting kicked off my home network/internet connection.

Customer Question

I keep getting kicked off my home network/internet connection. My desktop (HP Pavilion-2007) runs Windows Vista. My cable modem (Motorola SB5101) connects directly to my Wireless Broadband Router (Linksys Wireless-B, model BEFW11S4) and I run a laptop wirelessly in the house. I am on that now...it works (weak signal...I'm in the same room as the router!) but the desktop will not stay online!

At the advice of the Cable company, I frequently have to shut down the computer, detach all cables, power from both the modem and router, wait 5-10 minutes, then restart computer and everything works until kicked off again and again.

Previous attempts to fix include updating the firmware on the router (not sure if I did this right) insuring that the network adaptor (Realtek RTL8168C/8111C) has the most recent driver (it does).

Can anyone help me????
Category: Networking
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 4 years ago.
The first thing you should do is to make sure that the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration is managing your wireless connection.

- First, right click on 'My Computer.'
- Go to 'Manage.'
- Select 'Services and Applications.'
- Select 'Services' in the left hand pane.
- Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
- Ensure that it is started. If it is not, double click on it and set it to 'automatic' and then start it.
- Click OK.
- Scroll to Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC).
- Click OK.
- Open the wireless configuration software that came with your laptop software. It will most likely be called Realtek or HP Wireless or something like that.
- In each one of these programs there is a selection that says something like, "Allow the program to manage your wireless connection."
- Make sure this selection is NOT enabled.
- Close the program and reboot the computer.

Your wireless connection will now be managed by Windows and should work much more effectively.

____________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positivev feedback is also greatly appreciated!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok..the RPC WAS started...but the WZC is not being shown in the Computer Management window! Any ideas?
Which operating system are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Windows Vista Home Premium
Ah. My fault. The procedure I gave you is for Windows XP.

In Vista the WZC service is called WLAN AutoConfig.

Look for that one.

Also, this is kind of a flip-flop thing in Vista. Basically the Realtek or HP wireless software could be trying to manage your connection at the same time. If they are, you have problems. So if the service is off, turn it on. If it is on, turn it off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok..hopefully we're on the same page...my wireless laptop is a Gateway and I'm on it now..its working and online (although the linksys signal strength is only "good" and I'm 2 ft. from the router). The connection issues are with the desktop (the HP) and I was tweaking the items you mentioned above on THAT. Should i be doing anything on the laptop since its working or does it have to be tweaked?
No. That isn't going to make any difference (laptop/desktop). The changes I am recommending are on the computer that is having the connection issues.

However, if the problems you are having with the desktop are with a direct wired connection and not a wireless one, haev you tried all the usual stuff? I see that you have done the whole shut everything down and turn everything back on that is so popular with internet service providers. But have you tried a different network cable? A different port on the router?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I suppose a new network cable might be needed...I thought of this since the wireless connection was working and the "wired" one was not (the desktop-HP). I tried several different ports on the router..no dice.

I am still looking for the wireless configuration software or the option to configure the Realtek software on the HP desktop..where is it? In the device manager? If so...there is no option to "Allow the program to manage your wireless connection." Any ideas here???

Then what that means is Windows is already managing it by itself. That is good.

However, before going any further into the configuration, you should probably get a different cable. I'd hate to have you go through a bunch of steps that ultimately prove to be fruitless because no matter how your computer is configured, if it doesn't have a good network cable it will never connect properly.

Do you have one? Or would y ou have to go purchase one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will need to get one...the one I have connecting the router back to the desktop is one of the blue ones...should I get something more substantial??
That isn't necessary. A regular ethernet cable will work fine. They are inexpensive and you can find them just about anywhere.

Like I said, we could potentially go through 50 or 60 steps troubleshooting your computer, when there is a possibility that there is nothing wrong with it.

Let me know...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok..I'm getting a cable and I'll get back to you.
OK, I'll be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
replaced cable...plugged into several different ports and it still isn't working. I am out of time today...can I reconnect with you tomorrow? if so how?
No problem. I will put together a list of troubleshooting steps and leave it here.

When you log bacck into the site tomorrow you will see what I have and be able to try the steps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks....I'll check it out tomorrow.
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
No problem
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience: 16 Years experience in Support and Engineering PC/Server/Network field.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

I disconnected everything waited, reconnected it all with my new network cable, and right now everything is fine....let me know when you can get me the list of troubeshooting tips in case this goes down AGAIN...thanks. BTW-will definitely send payment when this resolves! THANKS...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help...I replaced my wireless router with a netgear wirelss-N 150 and everything seems ok for now. Hopefully this is all I need to keep things working. I will accept your answer to pay you with my thanks for helping me...hopefully i don't need any more help!
No problem. Thanks!