John D
John D, Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant

I overloaded an e-mail by adding a picture file too large for

I overloaded an e-mail by adding a picture file too large for my laptop and Outlook Express program to transmit. Hours after attempting to send this file my computer reports I exceeded the capacity of the system.

When I restart Outlook Express now the program immediately and automatically begins sending the same e-mail with the overloaded picture file attachment every time. I can not go into Outlook Express, click on drafts to attempt to delete the problem e-mail with attachment, but it will not allow me to do this because the e-mail is already in process of being sent.

Due to the automaticity of sending all draft e-mails automatically upon starting the Outlook Express I am unable to receive or send any other e-mails.

Please advise me how I can correct the problem.

Bill Sager

First make sure that outlook express is not running in the background by going to Task Manager (Ctrl + ALt + Del) , then Processes tab, then select msimn.exe, and click End Process.

Next start Outlook Express then click File > Work Offline

Now try to delete that message from the Draft folder or the Outbox folder using Shift + Del.

Then move or delete all messages from your Inbox, Sent Items, Outbox and Draft folders. (if you have important messages make sure you move them to your own created folder before deleting them)

Delete all messages from the Deleted Items folder.

Click File > Folder > Compact All Folders.

Close Outlook Express, then restart it and click File >Work Online.

That should do it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for clicking Accept if you are satisfied with the answer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We followed your instructions and the problem has been solved. Thank you very much for your assistance.

Bill SaGER

You are very welcome, and please remember to click the Accept button. That is the only way I get credit for helping.