John D
John D, Engineering Consultant
Experience:  Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant
53785

I have a row of share prices that update from the internet.

I have a row of share prices that update from the internet. I want to transpose them into a column. I can do it in value form using the excel paste special transpose function but then they don't update in the column.

I can 'convert' the row of share prices into formulas by =cell in which the stock price is but then if I try to transpose my row of formulas, excel transposes by number i.e. A1,A2,A3 instead of A1,B1,C1....

What's the trick?
Category: Networking
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>How you tried using the transpose function ?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. First I tried copying the row of stock prices and then paste special transpose into another worksheet-that works fine but I just get the values so each time the stock prices refresh I have to copy/transpose...

So, I figured let's 'convert' the share prices into formula by going =the cell in which the stock price result is.

A B C

My row is IBM GE BAC

117.16 14.50 17.02

I want:

IBM

GE

BAC

So I go in another worksheet =117.16 to 'convert' the 117.16 into a 'formula' and try copy paste special transpose and I get A1, A2, A3 instead of A1,B1,C1.......

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

No, with paste special you are just copying static values. With the transpose function however a link will be maintained between the copied cells and the transposed cells so that any change in the original cell will be reflected in the transpose cell. I can give you the steps for creating these formulas, or set it up for you on your own file. Let me know which one you prefer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes please send me the steps
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Ok, here you go:

FILE

The file contains the instructions as well as an example. Hope it is clear. Let me know if you have any questions

If you found that helpful thanks you for clicking Accept.

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

John D, Engineering Consultant
Experience: Bachelor of Science - Engineering Consultant