NixDude
NixDude, System Administrator
Experience:  20 Years in the trenches

I cant connect my Gateway laptop to wireless network even

I can't connect my Gateway laptop to wireless network even though it shows it's connected and has a good signal. I've been trouble shooting everything.
Updated Driver
ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew
When I ping it doesn't find default even though it shows when I renew

It was working yesterday before I cleaned everything up I could and told everything off I could. So I went back to yesterdays time and still can't connect.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Did you get a reply when you ping the gateway?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No reply when I pinged the gateway. 4 things times out with no response

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Please try something for me...

- ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ping 127.0.0.1 works.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

You're doing well... Now, have you try connecting directly to the router?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a wireless router in my place of business. I have another computer here that I can connect with.
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Could you connect the other computer to the router to see if it allows you to go on the internet? This way, we could find down if there's anything wrong with the router...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just walked out in my place of business. (A Casino) I had lot's of other guests connected to the wireless that I'm trying to connect to. I had also already called my wireless company (Frontier)
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Ah.. I see. When you run ipconfig /all, could you tell me the results?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything looks good. What specifically do you need to know?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It actually shows the wireless I'm connected to

Frontiernet.net

Intel Prowireless newtork 2200bg network

Then all the connections

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
I was looking for the IP, subnet, gateway and dns addresses.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IP 173.86.197.237

Subnet 255.255.255.128

dns 216.67.192.3

66.133.189.215

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Again, thanks for the information. I don't see gateway in the list... could you give me that too?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Gateway is 173.86.197.129

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Okay. looks like your router is up (gateway). When you talked to Frontier, did they verified that everything is okay on their side? Also, when you you open Internet Explorer and go to say google.com, what error message are you getting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have my other laptop with me and I have no problem connecting to the Frontier Network with this laptop.

The message that comes up is: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try: Diagnose Connection Problem

When I go through that it just says there might be a problem with your modem or router. Turn off modem, check cables. Then it says check the trouble shooting section of the manual that came with your modem or router

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
Well... looks like you've already tried everything I would have tried. I am now out of idea, but don't worry, I will open the question so other expert could take a look at it too. Thank you for your patient.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thaks Kevin
Expert:  Network Pro replied 4 years ago.
are you running any firewall software on the computer like norton or macafe?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an AOL firewall which is disabled and windows firelwall is turned off
lets try this

this utility resets your networking to a fresh install state. sometimes firewalls can dammage the system in place to get data flowing.

Download HERE
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried it twice and no luck.
ok i have done some research on AOL firewall and found some not so great reviews on it including a few people that could not get internet connections period.

lets try and uninstall that.

are you running any other spyware antivirus software on the machine?

and have you checked your proxy settings?
to do this open IE in the right pane you will see Tools if you click on tools you will see internet options click this
in internet options there is a tab that says connections
in connections on the bottom there is a tab that says lan settings
everything in lan settings should not be checked if you are directly connecting to the internet.

try that and see if it helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I'm uninstalling all AOL products for now. There are no other antivirus running. I'm about ready to do a full system recover since this didn't work
sorry im out of ideas best of luck to you
Expert:  NixDude replied 4 years ago.
Does it work connected directly to an ethernet port?

Did you have norton security or 360 and remove it recently by any chance?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it connects directly to ethernet port and I did un-install an old version of Symantec antivirus
Expert:  NixDude replied 4 years ago.
OK norton is notorious for leaving bits and pieces behind that break things...try this:

Go to here:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Get the right removal tool for the version of norton antivirus you had, then run it.

Then try it again.
Either way please come back and post outcome, good or bad. If it don't work then we have several things to check, for instance we can try manually resetting your tcpip stack and winsock catalog.

Please remember to accept my answer if it works for you. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

thanks
NixDude, System Administrator
Experience: 20 Years in the trenches
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  NixDude replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome, and thanks for the bonus Smile.

If you would, please leave me positive feedback also if you have the time, that helps my ratings.

thanks