Matthew J
Matthew J, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12+ yrs computer diagnosis/repair, network infrastructure install and support, IT Administration

I have a netgear wi fi router that i have forgotten the password

I have a netgear wi fi router that i have forgotten the password XXXXX . how do i get it or reset it?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Matthew J replied 7 years ago.
Hi there, I can assist you with that. Please tell me what model of Netgear WiFi router you have. This information should be included on the router itself, probably on a sticker on the bottom. Once I get that info I can tell you how to do a reset on the router and what the default password XXXXX be.

Thanks, Matthew
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Matthew J replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, I'll have an answer for you in just a few minutes.
Expert:  Matthew J replied 7 years ago.
Ok, here's what you need to do. You will need a paperclip to proceed.

Open the paperclip so that you have a pointy end sticking out. You will use this to depress the reset button on the router.

On the back of the router, you will see a small hole to the right hand side of the network jacks. (See illustration below)

1. Press and hold the Default Reset button until the power light blinks on (about 10 seconds)

2. Release the Default Reset button and wait for the router to reboot.

Once the router reboots, you can access it via your Internet browser by typing the following address into the address bar and pressing Enter on your keyboard: The administration password XXXXX have been reset to "password" (without the quotes)

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance with this, and if my answer has remedied the problem, please Accept my answer.

Thanks! -Matthew