NixDude
NixDude, System Administrator
Experience:  20 Years in the trenches
16533724

I recently purchased Carbonite and installed it on my laptop.

I recently purchased Carbonite and installed it on my laptop. The laptop is a recently purchased HP running Vista. I am now having lots of difficulty connecting to the Internet. I checked with my ISP (Verizon) and we confirmed that the connection is good and the router is fine.
Category: Networking
Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.
Seems it mighta messed up some of your settings

Try this:

1. Click on Start button.
2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
4. Type netsh int ip reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key
5. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key
6. Restart the computer

If that don't fix it, also try this:

1. Click on Start button.
4. Type netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. Restart the computer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi NixDude,

I just tried both suggestions. I think the second one helped. I can get to the main /home page on the internet...and some other websites, but the performance is terrible. Somtimes. when I try to navigate to another site...it comes back with an error message saying that "Internet Explorer cannot display the Webpage" Then I go to the Tools dropdown and "Work Offline" is checked.

When I try to use Microsoft Outlook, and it goes thru the "Send/Receive" function... it says that the "operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving POP server.

Any other suggestions ? Thanks !

Bob J

Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.
Are you connecting wired or wireless?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a hard-wire connection.
Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.

Try these resets also at the cmd prompt, then repeat the others afterward:

ipconfig /flushdns
nbtstat -R
nbtstat -RR
netsh int reset all

Short of those helping...

It might be good to try a new ethernet cable if you have one handy.

Also, Go to the properties on your local area connection. The configure your adapter, the adapter properties will pop up, go to advanced tab, connection type and try 100 half duplex (or 100base HD)...if its a real old router you are connecting to, try 10 half duplex.

You can also try uninstalling carbonite since it broke about the time you installed that, and then doing all the resets again...as it might have something screwy going on with it.
NixDude, System Administrator
Experience: 20 Years in the trenches
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

NixDude,

I accepted the earlier answer, but I am still struggling to resolve the issue. I sent an earlier message. Not sure if you received it... ?

Bob J

Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.
No this is the first I saw since my last post, please let me know that your running into and we will continue to work on this.

I am going to lunch though, so I will respond after about an hour.

thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks NixDude,

This morn I removed Carbonite. I installed Vista SP2. I tried all of your suggestions. And then did a restart. I can access my "home page" on the internet. When I try to navigate elsewhere, sometimes I can get there, after a long wait. Other times, it will come back with "IE cannot display the webpage". When I diagnose the problem, sometimes it will come back with Error 403 (forbidden site). Other times, it says "windows did not find any problems with this computer's network connection.

Also, I still have lots of difficulty with Microsoft Outlook, when I try to "send/receive".

Bob J

Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.
Try this, setting the autotuning to high instead of disabled:

1. Click on Start button.
4. Type netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
5. Restart the computer

If that don't help, set it back to normal
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

NixDude,

I just tried the highly restrictive setting and it seems to help. I can get to some more sites, but the performance is terribly slow. getting real frustrated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

NixDude..... we had a breakthrough !! It must be the Network Adaptor. I just switched the laptop over to wireless (which I never use) and the internet and my Outlook mail is working fine. I feel like a dope. I guess I'll have to purchase a new network card.

Thanks for your help !

Bob

Expert:  NixDude replied 5 years ago.
Oh, could be, or perhaps a bad cable, or the port on the router could be defective :).

thanks much,
NixDude, System Administrator
Experience: 20 Years in the trenches