James, Sr. Network Administrator
Experience:  Highly experienced with wireless networks and wireless equipment, LAN and networking protocols
24111805

website wont open on my computer, but opens on the other computers

Customer Question

website won't open on my computer, but opens on the other computers in my home. I am on Windows Internet Explorer
Category: Networking
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Is it one specific website that will not open? Which website? Also, are their other websites that do not open?

Thanks!

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is one particular website. Others work. And the website that won't work on my computer, works on all other computers in the house.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
What does the page say when you try to access it? Do parts of it load?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None of it loads. It's the general page that says Internet Explorer can't display the website. Then gives the general options. I have tried the diagnostics.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Which website please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Can you try to open the site in Firefox or another browser.

If you do not have another internet browser you can download one here:

Firefox.com

(Just need to test this on another browser)

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll download it now
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I downloaded Firefox and the webpage opens with it, but it still doesn't open with Internet Explorer
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Great. Ok. Can you clear your Internet cookies and any temporary internet files from Internet Explorer (These can be deleted through the Internet Options window in Internet Explorer)

Restart after you have done this and then open it again.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was in the middle of getting help with a problem from Ryan H. and he asked me to delete the histories and the cookies on my internet, then to reboot. I did this and then was unable to connect with Ryan again. He had not solved the problem. How do I continue to get help for my unsolved problem. Thanks
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
I am still here, so after deleting these items that I specified, you still can not access this website, correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. Thanks for coming back, by the way.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
No problem, I want to see this fixed for you! There is a solution, we just have to try each one and see if it works for you, so lets try this one.

Open IE

Tools tab > Internet Options > restore Advanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings.

Restart IE.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK Done. I just check the website and it still won't open.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, go ahead and close Internet Explorer. Lets access the Run box from the start menu and start IE in "safe mode".

• Go to Start > Run
  • Type iexplore -extoff
  • Press Enter
Once IE loads try to access your page.

Thanks,

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I did it. Still won't open. What is phishing? Should it be on or off?
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Phishing is when a website looks, feels and acts the same way as the real website. People set these up to trick people into entering their personal informaton, many people are not computer literate and can not tell the difference between a real website and a fake one that looks very similar. You can turn it on, it is good to have to feature enabled. Does it say something about phishing when you are trying to view this website?

Ryan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, not from the site. When I deleted and reset IE, it asked if I wanted phishing turned on.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Which version of internet explorer are you using? If you are not using IE 8, please go to this website and upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just upgraded to IE8. Website still doesn't work
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Can you close IE8 any Anti-virus or Malware scanners you might have running on your computer. Re-open IE8 and try again.

Thanks!

Ryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use MacFee total protection. (it says that IE has full access) How precisely would I do what you need. Does IE have its own?
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
Just close McAfee, or stop the service from running by doing the following:

Press CTRL ALT DELETE
End any running Mcafee services in the Task Manager.

Try again to load the site.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned off the firewall setting which is the only thing MacAfee has to turn off. Checked the Task Manager, nothing there. Went to IE and turned the Internet Security setting as low as possible (medium). Still won't work.
Expert:  Ryan H. replied 5 years ago.
I am going to opt out because I am out of ideas! I will open the question up to all the other experts and we will see if we can get you an answer. You will be notified when another expert picks up the question, sorry I couldn't fix it for you!

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trying. Baffling isn't it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can someone else help? Please????