Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP
18224842

I recently bought a Samsung blu ray player and a netgear wireless

I recently bought a Samsung blu ray player and a netgear wireless router. The blu ray player features netflix on it, so I bought the router to get that working. I'm having problems getting the blu ray player to connect with the router. When the player looks for the access point, it connects to the signal right away. The problem is when I run the network connection test, when it gets to the gateway ping test, I get an error and it says my network has a problem. I contacted samsung and they said I would probably need to open up more ports on the router. They told me I could open up ports 80 and 443. Can you help me get my router set up? thanks
Category: Networking
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomerand thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with this question.

The samsung tech actually is mistaken when he says you need those ports open (they often say this and it is completely incorrect). If you go into you network settings on the samsung, what do it list for you IP address and DNS Servers?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had to turn off the DHCP and manually punch in the addresses off my router. Here they are: IP: 68.185.103.253

Subnet: 255.255.254.0

Gateway: 68:185:102.1

DNS: 68.115.102.1

I hope this helps!!

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Hi kcsan44 -

OK you are going to need to turn on DHCP to get this to work. that IP address info you have punched in right now is for the external part of your router and will not work on the samsung. Please switch back to DHCP and tell me what happens.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned the DHCP back on and when I ran the network connection test there was an error when it got to the IP address, gateway address, dns, and so on.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Ah I see. Are you connecting wirelessly or wired?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wireless
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
OK basically that means that you aren't getting the correct information from your wireless router. You mentioned that you could see the wireless network with no problem when going thru the initial samsung setup right? Do you have a password XXXXX your wireless network?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I don't have any security settings on my router set up yet but I do have to use a password XXXXX get in to the router settings and configuration.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Good to know, but we should not need that for the Samsung setup. OK so you go into the samsung network setup and you choose your network, then what happens? Does it prompt you for a password (it shouldn't since you don't have one)? With no password XXXXX your network this should be a simple setup!

Is it possible to try this wired as a test or is the router too far away?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The router is too far away.

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

OK please tell me exactly what happens after you choose your wireless network from the list. Do any other networks show up on the list? Are any other devices able to connect wirelessly to your netgear?

Also, can you give the exact model and version of your netgear?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its now saying that it cannot connect with my network. there are a couple other names on the list but they are locked out and have no signal. There isn't anything else that connect wireless. The model is wpn824v3
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

OK let's try a firmware ugprade on that router first. Please follow the directions listed at this site:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4406

Please let me know what happens after the upgrade (or if you are already at 1.0.8). thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the firmware upgrade. It went through ok but I still can't connect with the blu ray player. I don't know if this matters, in the blu ray settings the NTP server is off and the proxy is off.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Both of those should be off. Can you give me exact error message you get when trying to connect? Also, which Samsung wireless adapter are you using?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It says "unable to connect to network"

the samsung adapter is the one that came with it and plugs into the back of the player:

it says on the back:

2009 Wireless LAN Adapter

Model: WIS09ABGNX/XAA MAC:0012FB2506E6

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Can't believe I didn't ask this yet, but what is the model of Blu-ray player you bought?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

samsung BD-P3600

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

OK please try this:

1. Turn static IP addressing back on for the Samsung.
  2. Change the IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway to 0.0.0.0.
  3. Turn DNS to Auto.
  4. Change the Samsung back to DHCP ON and try again.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do you turn the static ip back on? I ended up resetting the blu ray player after I wiped out all the numbers back to zero. I went into the wireless setup and clicked on access point. It searched and listed a couple signals. I clicked on my network and it tried to connect but it said "unable to connect to network".
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

That's ok resetting the blu-ray did what I wanted anyhow. Thanks!

Still unable to connect huh? Can you try rebooting your router? Just unplug the power and wait 60 seconds, then plug it back in. See if you can connect after that.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It took me a while because a firmware update came up on the screen and I got that updated first (on my blu ray player). I tried rebooting the router and it still doesn't connect

Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
So wait you got a firmware update notice on your blu-ray but you aren't connected to the Internet? How did that happen? Are you connected another way?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your guess is as good as mine. thats what i was trying to figure out? There was a BD live internet connection tab in the options screen that was automatically set to "allow". I must have picked up a signal from that, I guess. I switched it to "prohibit" the B-D live internet connection and tried to connect to my network again and it failed again!
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

This is really strange, usually a setup like yours is a slam dunk!

What is the name of your wireless network?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its a name I gave it in the router setup: Customer I'm thinking that maybe I accidently did something in the router config or something. I think I can reset the router back to the factory settings. I'll see if that works.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Yes I would do that and see if you can connect to it when the name is XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, i redid the whole modem set-up process. It is now "netgear". I went into the "access point" screen and "netgear" was listed. I clicked on it, and it failed to connect to the "netgear" network.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
So weird! Do you have any other devices connected to this wireless? Can we try setting up WPA on the router in the wireless settings and seeing if that makes a difference? If you still can't connect after that I may have to chalk this up to a faulty adapter.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure I'll try anything at this point. I'm about ready to throw it in the road and run it over. :)
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

LOL! OK here's how you do it:

1. Login to the Netgear and click on Wireless Setttings.
  2. Choose WPA-PSK and type in a Passphrase, then save the settings.
  3. Try the Samsung connection again and see if you are prompted for the password.

Keep me posted!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was prompted for the password. I punched it in and it still didn't connect to the network. :(
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Boy this one has got me stumped. I don't think the adapter is bad anymore because it is getting enough of a signal to get prompted for the password. How about this?

Go back to the router's configuration and click on Wireless Settings. Then change the mode drop down to G only. Save the changes and then try to connect again.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still not connecting. the connection test says the error is in the IP address, dns network, gateway address
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.

Yes that error is because it isn't connecting to the wireless correctly. Try this:

1. Instead of using DHCP, try putting these numbers in manually:
  2. IP Address: 192.168.1.10
  3. Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  4. Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  5. DNS: 64.240.180.20

Let me know if that makes any difference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its working now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!! Thanks for all your help!! Its too bad we didn't think of that sooner, it could have saved us some headaches. :)
Expert:  Erik B. replied 5 years ago.
Yes I got so held up on the wireless that I disregarded other possible issues!

If you found my help valuable pleas click the accept button. Have a great weekend and enjoy your netflix.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience: 8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP