AFFalcon
AFFalcon, LAN/WAN Engineer
Experience:  14 years of Networking and 22 years of General Computer Experience
16662161

We are trying to connect an hp Photosmart C4580. The Diagnostic

Customer Question

We are trying to connect an hp Photosmart C4580. The Diagnostic Summary says that the Network Name (SSID) Found - failed. How do we correct this problem?
Category: Networking
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswers. Could you please clarify for me when you are getting the SSID failure? Does your network use a WEP key and was this installed by you or someone else? Do you currently have a PC connecting Wireless?

I will be able to better assist you once I have some information.
I will wait for your response
Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Our PC is not Wireless and I don't know what a WEP key is.
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
OK no problem, are you trying to hook the printer direct to your PC?

WEP is a wireless encryption protection mode used in a wireless network to allow for security of your wireless traffic. It is a combination of numbers starting with a 10 digit number that you would have to set up in your wireless router, so if you are not sure what it is, I would be pretty sure you have not set it up. It is not necessary to have in your network, just gives folks peace of mind about the security.

We can actually see the WEP (if you are using one), if you can log into the administrative window of your wireless router.

Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This appears to be the number your are asking about:

51012c8703e94c2e9f042a3902
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
Yes that would fall into guidlines for a 128 Bit Key. If this key is setup in your router then you are requiring that any device has to match this key in order to use your router services.

If your printer is to be setup wirelessly to communicate, you will have to identify this key in that setup. Make sure that you type it exactly as you have it here. UpperCase and Lowercase letters must match.

Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information - where do I find the info for the wireless printer to check the WEP number?
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
The WEP number is XXXXX from your router and will need to be entered during the wireless setup for your printer.

Where did you get the number you sent me a moment ago?

Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the number from a Wireless Network Test Report, under Diagnostics Summary.
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info... Do you know how to get into the admistration page for your router. If you can provide me a Router Make and Model I can assist. Just want to double check the key from inside the router.

Honestly you should not be able to view a key from outside the router itself.

Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The router is a 3Com Office Connect Wireless 11g Cable. One of our sons brought the router and installed it for us, so we didn't have much to do with it.
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.

Great. For the moment we will need just a bit more information. Your router IP address is going to be essential to getting into and looking for this key.

1. Do you know your router IP address? If not what operating system are you using and I can explain how we can find out. If you all ready know, could you please tell me the IP, subnet and gateway address?

2. When you are going through the install, does it tell you it actually sees your Access point.

3. During the setup it should have asked how you would assign the printer IP address, did you choose automatic setup?

Regards

Larry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We're using Windows Millenium. On the Wireless Network Test Report, one of the items listed is IP Address, under Configuration Summary and it is indicated "Not applicable".
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.

Great, you can get all your windows IP information on Millenium by this method.

Goto Start

Goto Run

Type 'winipcfg'

Hit Enter

This will tell you your IP details.

Regards

Larry

Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.

One more question I just thought of that I was not clear on. After you found what appeard to be your WEP key, did you start your new printer install over again and input it then? It should prompt for this key during that install.

Regards

Larry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I didn't try that, but I will.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This may be turning into more trouble than it is worth. I reinstalled the printer - the key no. is correct - and when I got almost to the end of the installing, a message popped up saying that the printer is too far away and the signal can't be detected. It's all on the computer table, no more than 1 1/2 ft. away. I continued through and when I got all finished, the wireless connection didn't work. I may just leave it connected through the USB cable.
Expert:  AFFalcon replied 5 years ago.
Well so far it is actually sounding good.... Now here is one more thing to try before you give up and it may sound crazy.. Put a bit of distance between the router and your new printer. sometimes too close is bad. The fact that it recognized it and the key is correct are two major steps.

Just so I am clear, it was the HP install program that stated the printer was too far away or did you get that from something else?

Don't give up yet!!!

Regards
Larry
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, the install program said it was too far away or else there was a wall in between and that it could not pick up the signal. As I said the printer sits a foot and half away.

You didn't think you were going to become my new best friend did you?