Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin
Experience:  8 Years Experience, MCSE, MCP

i have a brother printer MFC 240C , also a laptop [ wireless

Customer Question

i have a brother printer MFC 240C , also a laptop [ wireless ] and a normal P.C tower and a netgear adls router[ wireless].....question is how do i print from my remote laptop?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Sandeep Pamarati replied 7 years ago.
Hi ,

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your query.

Please go through this
link. It will helped you.
Please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

he answer you give just sends me to a brother web page........i could of done that.......i will gladly pay you when you fix my problem. this link does not even answer my spacific problem. pls read my question again and see if you can guide me step by step as how i can print from my laptop .[ wirelssly] via my pc/adsl modem router

Expert:  Erik B. replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer- my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to continue assisting you with this issue.

Please do NOT click Accept until you are satisfied with your Answer.

Part 1 - Share your printer and discover your computer name

1. On the computer where your Brother is connected, please click on Start -> Settings -> Printers and Faxes (or just Start -> Printers).
  2. In the Printers window, right click the icon for your Brother printer and choose Sharing.
  3. Click the checkbox for 'Share this printer' and then type a name for your printer (this name should be less than 15 characters; I suggest 'brother').
  4. Click Apply and OK.
  5. Close the Printers window.
  6. Now click on Start -> Run.
  7. Type sysdm.cpl and click OK.
  8. Click on the Computer Name tab.
  9. Look for the computer name (NOT the description). The name should be under the description blank. Record this name and click Close.

Part 2 - Connect your laptop to the printer

1. On your laptop, click Start -> Run.
  2. Type the name of your computer in the following format: \\computername and then click OK (so if your computer name was bob, you would type \\bob and then click OK).
  3. A window should appear with a couple of folder and printer icons.
  4. Double click the icon with the name you created in Step 3 of the first instruction set.
  5. Click Yes or Connect to any prompts and wait for the printer to install.

After performing these instructions, the shared printer should appear in your printer list as an option on your laptop.

Please let me know if you have any trouble!