Ron Whittaker
Ron Whittaker, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Years as a System Analyst in the 70's. Corporate and home network experienced. LAN and Wireless.
17625849

I have a Gateway M series laptop and it cant see any wifi

Customer Question

I have a Gateway M series laptop and it can't see any wifi connection. If I look in the bottom right it has the network icon with a red X on it. If I look in device manager it shows that there are two Network adapters: Realtek RTL8101E Famil PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (wired) and Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. I do not have a USB wifi NIC. Both adapters show that they are working properly. The wired connection does work fine. Could you possibly lead me to additional steps to take to activate or otherwise make the wifi work? Thank you for your time! Chris
Category: Networking
Expert:  Simit replied 5 years ago.
Near the front left of the laptop, there should be a switch. This switch is to turn the wireless radio on and off. Make sure that switch is on.

After you do that, press the Fn and F2 keys at the same time to enable the wireless. You should see something pop-up on the screen. If it does not, then that's OK.

If it pops-up and says that the wireless is off, then press those keys again to turn it on.
Then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections

Double click on the Wireless connection. And you should see a list of the available networks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your quick reply, Simit! Unfortunately, the switch was already in the ON position with the wireless enabled. I did, however, change the switch to the OFF position, then back to ON, then pressed Fn/F2 to enable. It still is not displaying any network connections. Do you have anything else that I might be able to try? Thank you! Chris
Expert:  Simit replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a wireless router near you so that the laptop can have a signal to pickup?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I have my other laptop sitting next to this one and it is connected fine. I have tried 2 different wireless routers on the gateway system as well - one secured, one unsecured. Where I am currently the laptop that is working (Vaio) sees 5 different wireless networks.
Expert:  Simit replied 5 years ago.
I'm stumped. I'm going to opt-out and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you - I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Ron Whittaker replied 5 years ago.

Lets exercise those adapters that say they are on! For each one, disable and re-enable. Also consider a driver update, if able to cable and get access to internet.

Also take time to report back DNS et al, by going to Start, Run, Cmd and ipconfig into the DOS box. What is DNS, IP Address, Subnet and Gateway?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I have disabled and re-enabled each. I don't have a cable connection currently, but will do so later and update the driver (I think I tried this earlier this week, but to be honest, I don't remember). As for the ipconfig settings, all entries are listed as "Media State......media disconnected"
I can wait until you have a chance to connect by cable. Until then, it will be 'disconnected'.

Have you tried the shut down/start up for each of the devices in sequence? To do so, turn all of your system off for a few minutes. Then start with modem, wait a couple of minutes, then router, wait, then cable connected computers one at a time, the wireless devices.

This will give each unit a chance to reset and be ready for the next connection.