Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

My computer says my wireless connection speed is 11 Mbps.

My computer says my wireless connection speed is 11 Mbps. My son said that my network is very slow and compared to his it definetly is. What can I do do make it faster.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell us what make and model your computer and router are?

Can you also tell us who your internet provider is?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My computer is a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ230P. My router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 My internet provider is Cablevision.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Your router is an 802.11B unit so that means the maximum speed it can accept connections at and is capable of is 11mbps, the only way you will get any faster speed would be to upgrade to a G (54 mbps) or N (108 mbps) class router which you can get from any office store or Walart store.

Can you tell me if you use your network in your home to share files or print?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I use the wireless in my home and I use it to print. I have a linksys printserver PSUS4 connected to my laptop also.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you tell me why you are needing to increase the speed?

Is your internet connection slow?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My wireless internet connection is very, very slow. 11mbps vs 100 mbps on the desketop
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I am going to try to explain why your wireless and wired speeds make no difference.

You have a cable internet connection which is what provides your connection to the web, Depending on what package you have signed up for you may have a connection that is 1mbps upload by 5mbps download, However you have either a wired 100mbps or wireless11mbps connection to get the internet connection from your router to your machine.

Based on this type of connection your wireless is still capable of transferring data to your router then modem more than twice as fast as your cable connection can transfer data from the modem to the web and more than 10 times faster in reverse.

having said that there is no need to change your router to a G or N unit as the only way to make your current connection faster would be to get a faster connection package from your cable company, The only thing a faster router will do for you is allow you to transfer data inside your home.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, what you're saying is - that it's not my computer, it's not my router, it's not my modem - it's my isp. Is this correct?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

What I am saying is that it is not your router or wireless hardware.

The possible causes for any slowness are either the connection from your internet provider or possibly your computer.

Is your machine faster when you use your sons network?

Has your son used his machine on your network?

If yes to both then it would point to your internet connections speed which would be something only your internet provider can fix.

If no and your sons observations are based on your machiens speed on your connection then it may be possible your machine is slow and needs to be optomized.

Let me know if you have used your sons connection with your machine.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I have not used my machine on my son's network, not has he used his computer on my network. That is something that we could try.

If neither of this makes a difference - what can I do to optomize my computer?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you take your machine to your sons and use his connection and your machine is still slow or your son uses his machine on your network and his is just as fast as normal then we will need to look at a few things.

The first woul be to see how many processes are running on your machine, To do this can you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then choose Task Manager and click Processes then let me know how many it shows as running.

The next thing would be to use the free version of Malwarebytes anti malware from here http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html just install it then run a scan so we can see if you may have picked up a malware infection.

Let me know about the processes and the scan results.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't try my son's network (nor he, mine) at this time.

I did check the processes running - currently 55.

I also downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes-AntiMalware Pro and the scan found 793 problems which they will fix for $30.

Shouldn't my Norton Security package find and fix these errors? I ran a live-update of Norton and ran a scan - they found no problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to continuing working with Eric. I think we're in 2 different time zones. But I can wait for him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Maybe Eric has the day off. Can anyone else help me?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

I am online now at 4:00 eastern and will be here till Midnight.

Are you sure you downloaded the Malwarebytes program as the free version will not require you to pay anything to remove anything.

Let ms know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Eric,
I got kicked off the internet - now it's OK.
I went to the website you gave me for the anti-maleware. There were many, many choices - but I though I found the right one. It's called AntiMalware Pro. It said it was free. It scanned for free but then to fix anything it said I have to but a Key to register.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There were no malicious threats, worms, trojans or viruses found.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you click the link I sent you to, The page will open and in the middle ofthe page you should see Downloads then below it a list of places like this.

MajorGeeks |FL - USA|
MajorGeeks |TX - USA|
MajorGeeks |TX - USA|
MajorGeeks |FL - USA|

Just click where it says MajorGeeks on the first entry MajorGeeks |FL - USA| and it should download the free program you need to run.

Is that the one you used?

If not go ahead and grab the right one and run it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is one I tried this morning, but it gives me the message that windows cannot open this. It's a *.part file????
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you see if you can click this link and download the file to your desktop then install the program http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=5756&file=15&evp=693ee0b20204960edfd909666f809b26

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK - got it. Now do I run a full scan? or quick?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Just run the quick scan and if it finds anything let it remove it then run a full scan, If the quick scan does not find anything then dont bother with the full scan.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I ran the quick scan and then the full scan. It found stuff. I can copy the log for you if you wish. What's next?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you ran both scans can you tell me if the machine is any faster after you restarted?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would have to compare by trying my computer on my son's network and his on mine, which I will do as soon as I can.

When I checked processes running it said 55 or 56. Is this a lot? I'm not sure what this means.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you are on Xp then it is higher than most.

Can you follow this guide from Net Squirrelwhich will help you examine and turn off any unneeded startup processes http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html

If you are in any doubt about what something is then can you clik this link and it will take you to the sysinfo search engine where youcan see what something is http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

After you have run the tool, restart your machine and let me know how many proccesses you have and if it is any faster.

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This looks a little (rather, a lot) scary to me. I'm afraid to delete something I need. I think I'll wait and compare what I have now with my son's.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

It can be a little daunting and you may wish to have your Son help you with it if you are unsure.

Can you tell me if your machine seems faster online since you ran the Malwarebytes program?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do think that the web pages load more quickly.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case running through your startup programs with your Son may help speed up your machine a little more and as a consiquence help you get faster internet speeds.

Let me know if you need any thing else.

Regards

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Experience: IEEE, Microsoft
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If I end the processes on my laptop that are not on our desktop will that help?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ummm,

Can you tell me what tye of antivirus you use?

Either that or can you tell me what processes you show running?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually what I proposed is probably a bad idea because I have programs on my laptop that are not on my desktop.

I use Norton anti-virus utilities.

I'll check out the netsquirrel.com website carefully and see if I can make sense of it.

Thanks

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

If you need step by step instructions let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll do this at another time. Thanks for all your help, Eric. You've been very patient and I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

No Problem,

If you need any help let me know

Thanks