Bohack, System Administrator
Experience:  10+ Years Experience, MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, CCNA, A+

iPhone cannot connect to the server.

Customer Question

My iphone will not connect to the server. The settings are right, but it keeps saying "cannot connect to the server", so I can't send or receive email. I get email from the comuter, but the iphone suddenly stopped connecting. What the heck is wrong?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Bohack replied 7 years ago.
Which server? is it a corporate exchange server or .mac?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The server is a local server,
The problem is when I try to send or receive emails from my iPhone. A message comes up that says "cannot connect to the server" It worked fine until just recently. There is no problem sending emails and receiving them on the computer, it's just a problem with the iPhone. I have tried to reset the mail settings on the iPhone, and have tried "syncing" the mail infor from iTunes to iPhone, but nothing is helping. It's an iPhone problem I gusess. Do you have any suggestions?
Expert:  Bohack replied 7 years ago.
How are you setting the iphone up to connect?

Is it thru active-sync, POP/SMTP, IMAP?

Please read thru this article and tell me if this is the procedure you are using and what the specifics are except for username and password. Do not post any account information.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is POP 3

income is
outgoing is
Expert:  Bohack replied 7 years ago.
I think I have found your solution....

Please review this article instead...

when you are asked to input the (incoming) POP3 server use:

When you are asked for the (outgoing) SMTP server use:

You will need to use your email address as the username and you email password ***** the password. If it still continues to not work I recommend trying to login to the webpage with the same credentials to make sure that you do not have a problem with the username and password. Also make sure your mailbox is not overful this would be a problem.

If all else fails you will need to call the ISP and get information from them as to SSL settings and such. I just checked their servers and both of those addresses work...

telnet 110 - gives me a prompt
telnet 26 - give me a prompt

So I know the service is working... It is most likely something you are entering into the Iphone in relation to settings.

Jon B.