Dave K
Dave K, System Administrator
Experience:  Linux, Windows, and Oracle Adminstrator, I.T. Director
4585472

I am somehow locked out of my own wireless connection device.

Customer Question

I am somehow locked out of my own wireless connection device. I have tried everything to unlock it but to know avail. I have no idea how I managed to lock myself out. I've had this wireless connection for about two years with no problems until no. It's Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility. On the Site Monitor tap it shows the network name, security (a locked key) and of course a strong green signal. I tried entering the "Key" password XXXXX but this does not unlock it.
Category: Networking
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Are you sure you have entered your encryption key EXACTLY as it should be, including UPPER and lower case? The key must exactly match what is defined in the router.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I entered it EXACTLY including UPPER and lower case.
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.
OK, then it is possible that the key has been lost in the router - have you had any power issues, or has anyone had access to the router? If you go into the router user interface, you may be able to see the encryption key - some display it and some don't. If you can see it, then it can be verified. If not, you can re-enter it and try again. You could also temporarily disable the encryption to test whether your laptop can make the basic connection, although I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, based on your description.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean the key has been lost in the router? And where do I find the router user interface. Also, by your answer can I conclude that the "key" to opening the enscription key is re-entering the password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, there is no basic connection on my laptop only the wireless connection. I am working here on my desktop which has a highspeed internet connection.
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.

There is a user interface to the router, usually accessed by going to your web browser and entering 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 on the address line. That will bring up a username/password XXXXX and the default is usually either admin and admin, or admin for one and blank for the other. Once in, you should be presented with a menu of screens, and one of them will define your security scheme and the encryption key. If you have a manual for your router, it should provide this information in detail. Or if you tell me the make and model of your router I should be able to find the manual online - but they all work about the same.

When I said "basic connection" to your laptop, I mean a wireless connection without security enabled - i.e., connecting without requiring a key at all.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I probably have a manual somewhere but don't know where it might be. The make is Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 Ghz Broadband Router. Before I got mysteriously locked out I did not have to enter a key to get on line. I just turned the thing on and clicked on the green bar and that was it. Don't know why I am locked out. If you can get the manual it would be helpful. I am just gathering the info and will "accept answer" and later try out your suggestions which I am finding to be helping me to understand for sure.
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.
OK, Linksys is a popular brand and their manuals are available online. But, they make a lot of models and I need to know which one you have - there should be a label on the router with a model number - it will be some combination of letters and numbers like WRT54G. If there is a version number, that will be important too.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's WRT54G. I found the number on a disk I found which is a setup wizard disc. but I don't have a manual.
Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.
OK. POlease look at the label on the bottom of the router and tell me the version number - there are currently 12 versions of the WRT54G.
Dave K, System Administrator
Experience: Linux, Windows, and Oracle Adminstrator, I.T. Director
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It says on the bottom ver 6

Expert:  Dave K replied 5 years ago.

Here is the link to get a copy of your User Guide:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WRT54G/download

Be sure to select Version 6 from the version menu at the top, and then click "User Guide" to download and view/print the user guide. You will want to take a look at Chapter 3 - the sections on Basic Wireless Settings and Wireless Security.

As you will see from the manual, you can access the router by using connecting any PC to the router with a network cable, and then entering 192.168.1.1 on the broswer address line. The username will be left blank, and the password XXXXX be admin (this assumes the password XXXXX not been changed, of course).. Using the User Guide as your guide, you should be able to navigate to the wireless settings and see what kind of security and what key has been established, and make changes if you desire.