Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Comptia A+ Technician; Six years PC install and support with the government
6867853

I am trying to connect a Toshiba laptop to the wireless network

Customer Question

I am trying to connect a Toshiba laptop to the wireless network in the office. I keep getting this message "The settings on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network." What do I do?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer<br /><br />Have you ever been able to connect to the wireless connection at work with the Toshiba laptop or is this the first time accessing this specific network?<br /><br />Sincerely,<br /><br />Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been able to access this wireless connection at work. This is not the first time accessing this specific network.
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thank you very much for the information. I have a few steps I need you to perform to see if your

1. You need to go to Control Panel/Networks, go to the left side of the window and select Manage Connections.

2. Your laptop will be the device displayed. Right-click on the device and select Properties.

3. Click on the line with TCP/IP when the window opens and select Properties again.

3. Ensure the IP address and DNS are both set to Automatic. Click OK.

4. OK out of the other windows.

5. Restart your computer and you should be able to connect to the wireless network at your workplace.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated and accepted.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, this did not correct the problem
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
I sounds like the wireless security settings might be incorrect on your laptop. If the workplace uses WEP for its wireless security, while your laptop's wireless security is set to WPA, the computer will not meet the requirements of the wireless network.

Can you see the workplace network connection you need to connect to with your laptop?

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This sounds like you're on the right track. I remember earlier getting some kind of error message about 'settings'

But I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if I can see the workplace network connection I need to connect to with my laptop.

Right now I'm sitting at the computer at my secretary's desk (she's out today) and the router thingie is right here on top of her monitor. my laptop is right next to her computer on her desk.

Or ..do you mean can I see the network on some kind of icon on the computer. ?

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
Go to the Network Connections by following these steps:

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button
2. Click Control Panel,
3. Click Network and Internet
4. Click Network and Sharing Center
5. Click Manage network connections

You should be able to see the network from this window. If you can see the connection do the following:

1. Right-click the connection
2. Click Properties
3. When prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password (requires administrative permissions)
4. You should be able to connect once you have entered the password XXXXX key successfully.

However, if you have your laptop set to WPA and the router is configured with wireless security using WEP, you will need to change the security settings on the laptop by erasing the current connection and creating a new connection with the network. Creating a new connection is easier as you will be able to connect using the router's security settings and not the computer's security settings. (You need to know what wireless security the router is using and change your computer's settings accordingly).

Let me know if this helps.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
I almost forgot to ask this question. What type of router is being used and is the router turned on and connected to the wired network with an ethernet cable?

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK -- when I click 'Manage Network Connections' two icon message thingies pop up. One is 'local area connection' which I assume is not what I want since the other one says 'Wireless Network Connection'

When I right-click that one and then click 'Properties" Windows asks for my permission to continue, which I give.

But the next little window thingie that pops up does not ask for a password. Instead it says "Wireless Network Connection Properties" with 2 tabs -- one says 'networking' the other says 'sharing.' nothing says anything about passwords.

Also, the guy who set this up let a note saying that security was WPA, if that helps.

Router says Linksys/Cisco. Since green lights are flashing, I assume it's on.

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
Okay, so what you need to do is configure your laptop to use WPA, if it is not already configured. With WPA the router should have been configured when the support technician configured the router settings, usually with a key that must be on any computer that connects to the network.

Do me a favor and select the 'networking' tab and let me know what this tells you.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK the Networking tab has a little box at the top of the little window that says Connect using: Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter. Then there is this 'Configure' button under that, and another box under that that says The connection uses the following items: then there is a list of 8 items all of which are checked. Under that are three buttons 'install' 'uninstall' and 'properties'

I have an appointment and will be out for an hour or more -- I'll check when I return.

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
Exit out of the Wireless Network Adapter window, go to Start and then Control Panel, and select the Wireless Network Setup Wizard. This will walk you, step-by-step, into configuring your computer to use the wireless connection.

1. Click Next
2. Enter in the SSID that the admin setup for the router
3. Select the button that says 'Manually assign a network key'
4. Select the box that says 'User WPA encryption instead of WEP'
5. Click Next and this should complete the setup process.
6. Select 'Print Network Settings' so that you have a copy of the WPA key and settings for any additional computers that need to be added to the network

[Example of network settings provided:

Wireless Network Settings

Print this document and store it in a safe place for future reference. You may need these settings to add additional computers and devices to your network.

Wireless Settings

Network Name (SSID): NETWORK
Network Key (WEP/WPA Key): d0bf00e344c34d0b9bda4f59910657ecd38b3048cb9734be54cac882b8e4c172
Key Provided Automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication Type: WPAPSK
Data Encryption Type: TKIP
Connection Type: ESS
Key Index:

To enable File and Printer Sharing on this computer, run the Network Setup Wizard.

To set up your Internet connection, follow the instructions from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).]

7. Click Finish

If I have provided the answer for you, please click the ACCEPT button. Positive feedback are always appreciated and accepted.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I cannot find the wireless network setup wizard in the control panel

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Under the Network and Sharing Center, make sure network discovery is turned 'On' otherwise you will not be able to see the wireless network (click on the arrow button to expand the section) and this should show you the network you need to connect with.

Let me know what you find under this section.

Sincerely,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have no idea what you are referring to. I have the "Network and Sharing Center" page on my computer. To the left is a dark blue margin with the following list: Tasks, View computers and devices, connect to a network, Manage wireless networks, Set up a connection or network, Manage network connections, Diagnose and repair.

In the large middle portion of the screen, under the heading "Network and Sharing Center is a little diagram with 'this computer' on one side Internet on the other and a line between them with an 'X' through it.

Below that the words 'not connected' and below that the words 'Wireless networks are available' and 'Connect to a network.'

What is going wrong here?

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I am assuming you have tried connecting by clicking on the network in your office and clicking 'Connect to a network' and have been unsuccessful at doing so.

I am going to refer this to one of my colleagues so we can get the fastest answer for your needs.

Have a nice day,

Michelle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thanks for trying.