Dave K
Dave K, System Administrator
Experience:  Linux, Windows, and Oracle Adminstrator, I.T. Director
4585472

How do I connect 2 networks/subnets together using a

Customer Question

How do I connect 2 networks/subnets together using a router? Can I use any router as the primary router that connects both networks together or do I need to use a special type of router? What configurations needed to be done?
Category: Networking
Expert:  Dave K replied 8 years ago.

Hello. Yes, you can use any router to accomplish this - that is what a router is for; to connect two networks. You will just need to provide the "WAN" side of the router with an IP address on one network and have all nodes of the second network come into the router.

If the two networks are in the same location, you might consider simply modifying the subnet instead - for example, use 192.168.1.x for one network and 192.168.2.x for the other. Then you wouldn't necessarily need a router at all.

Expert:  Dave K replied 8 years ago.
I see that another expert is already working on this issue, so I am going to opt out. Please work with Flagbridge in your original question posting.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dave K's Post: Ok, here is my situation. I have 2 subnets/networks, 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.200.1. Each network has its own router. So let's called the router with IP address of 192.168.100.1 R1 and 192.168.200.1 R2. What I did previously was I connected the WAN port of R2 to one of the switch ports of R1. Hosts from R2 were able to ping R1 but not hosts on R1. Also, hosts from R1 cannot ping R2 or hosts on R2. So I was thinking that it might need a third router to connect those 2 routers/networks together so that hosts on R1 can communicate with hosts on R2 and vice versa.

Let's called the third router, the primary router that will connect R1 and R2 together, as R3. What I did was I connected the WAN port of R1 and R2 to the switch ports of R3. Hosts from both R1 and R2 were able to ping R3 but R1 still cannot communicate with R2 and vice versa. What am I missing?