Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Hardware Expert
50836188

Windows 10 says my new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 128 GB USB Flash

Windows 10 says my new SanDisk Cruzer Glide 128 GB USB Flash Drive is write protected, and won't let me copy to it. What gives?
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? Have you had problems with the USB port in the past?
Customer: Dell Vostro 470. I have used several thumbnails before and never had this problem.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 some months ago, but have successfully used thumbnails since.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

On the flash drive itself, you will see a sliding lock option. Make sure it is not set to locked otherwise you cannot copy to it.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
How do you insert it into USB port if it is not locked?

The flash drive is inserted the same way whether it is locked or unlocked.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't understand. If the red slide is not locked open, the metal plug just slides back into the plastic sheath. What other lock is there?

Thank you for confirming -- I took a look at your exact model flash drive and it does not have the locking feature.

If you are experiencing the write protection error it means that your flash drive is starting to become corrupt. I would suggest that you copy all the files off the flash drive onto your computer.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It is brand new and just experienced this failure copying the first directory. I guess I'm just out what I paid for it. I'll have to buy another. Thanks.

Does the flash drive have any files on it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
It has one folder of 781 mb in six files. I clicked and dragged two folders, and it failed and gave me the write protection message apparently after it copied the first folder.

Thank you for confirming -- I would suggest returning the flash drive to the store for a replacement.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks for the help. I am not sure about the practicality of a return to Amazon on an item like this, but I'll see. You have been helpful in assuring me that I really can't do anything with settings, etc., to solve this. I guess we're finished.

Amazon is actually really easy to return items to -- They take back almost anything and they will even offer to send you a replacement before sending back the item.

If you have any questions, please let me know otherwise if you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't see anything selectable to give a rating.

The star based rating system can be found at the top of this page. Please rate our session as 5 stars and press Submit.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK, you've got it.