Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

My HD on a different computer says the SMART status is bad

Customer Question

My HD on a different computer says the SMART status is bad backup and replace. I have since installed a new drive and OS but when I attach the Maxtor bad drive the system cannot read the disk to back it up. The Bios reads it as Maxtor...but chkdsk in windows cannot read it and aborts. Can this drive be fixed like the old ones when it would allow the sector to be overlooked by the computer? I do not want to spend large amounts to recover but would really like to recover what I can. The drives are in a tower not a laptop. I have reviewed this and would commit to the cost but only if it works. If the answer is I cannot repair it then that would not be worth the money. Do you still want to accept?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  comp_audio replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance.

There is no guarantee that the data is recoverable. With that being said, it appears you are only willing to accept an answer IF your data is recoverable and there is no way for me to determine that prior to working with you and the hdd. This can be a time consuming endeavor and no guarantee it will gain the results you want. For that reason I am sorry but would most likely opt out and open this back up to other experts as would most others.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 months ago.

when the original error came up was it still able to read and boot off the drive ?