Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

Need Help With Canon IR C3200-C1 On Mac Network I live in an

Customer Question

Need Help With Canon IR C3200-C1 On Mac Network
I live in an extremely rural area have zero chance of getting a tech to drive the 2.5 hours each way to get to me--and even less chance of finding a tech who knows anything at all about the C3200-C1, so I need remote assistance.  I am not a tech but fairly computer-savvy and have no problem opening things up to get them fixed.
My C3200 is very low time/copy count and worked fine until a month ago, when it disappeared from the network.  The copy function still works fine.
I believe the C1 Fiery has stopped talking to the main unit for reasons I'll describe below.
Configuration:
-      Mac network
o      Confirmed good Ethernet connections on the router
o      Confirmed good Ethernet connections on the iMac running MacOS 10.5.8 (final Mac operating system that would run the C3200-C1)
o      Appletalk confirmed ON
-      C3200-C1
o      Have tried three different C1 units and all give same response
o      Tried three different Canon FH2-7042 serial cables (C1-to-C3200) and all give same response
o      I do not have and am not capable of reloading the C3200 hard drive software
-      Symptoms
o      IR C3200-C1 does not appear in Mac System Preferences→Print & Fax list and cannot be added
o      This is the only computer I own capable of connecting to the C3200, so no other computers tried (but does not seem to be the problem).  No Win machines available.
o      Other printers will successfully connect via both the router or direct to the iMac
o      C1 configuration/displays
•      100 MHz Link/Col green light solid/blinking
•      DIAG Pwr light solid green; no "3-2-1-0" lights illuminated
•      DL DIP switches both up (normal position)
•      Router circuit light blinks as expected (assume this means the C1 is properly communicating with the router)
With these indications it appears to me the problem is the C1 is not talking to the main unit.
What else should I try?
Thanks much for your help.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Have you already dropped the device and readded it to your network?

are you using wireless connection?

have you tried usb connection to see if it 'sees' it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Are you familiar with the C3200? It does not include a USB or wireless connection.

Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

No remote assistance. Are you familiar with the C3200 printer? If not you will not be able to help me.

I am very familiar with the C3200 Printer. I will opt out and allow another to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Relist: Other.
EXCEPTIONALLY arrogant response. Why do you allow him on your network. He tried to pressure me for more money and when I declined gave me a very imperious reply.