Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I am having a problem getting my MAC to recognize my

Customer Question

I am having a problem getting my MAC to recognize my external hard drive. When I connect it I can only hear a ringing sound coming from the drive but the drive doesn't seem to be recognized. I also tried using different cables and I get the same result...the ringing sound
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Whats the full name brand and model of the hard drive?

Also, if the drive is making noise we need to disconnect it till we figure out the issue. Because if that ringing noise is the internal components grinding, it could be ruining your data .. So disconnect it and turn it off, then let me know the name brand and model of the drive itself.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
iomega - model RPHD-TG
Product Number 31823700
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did you receive my response?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

My apologies for the delay..I did receive your response.

Im researching that specific drive to see if it can be removed from the case, and also the exact specifications of the drive.

Please make sure the drive is unplugged and I will be back to you as soon as I have the info I need to make an initial suggestion.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry but I'm not sure how long this is going to take. It seems like this may take a while? Please advise on how to proceed please.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that you may be search for solutions. But I hope you can see this from my perspective. I just paid $38 dollars to get an answer to a technical question. I have not received any ideas of what to do in now what has been 30 minutes. I haven't even gotten timely "i'm still working on it" comments from anyone. This is not a good first impression on something I took a risk to initiate.Is there a solution? I have some photos (hundreds of them) that I would like to save. If I can't I'll have to live with that. But I was hoping that you guys could help. But no response at all is simply unacceptable and unreasonable that a customer should experience this???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At this point with no response from you on where we are and how we work to resolve this I going to simply asked that if you have an answer that you send it to my email address - ***@******.***. I have designed many support organizations and communications is "key" to the customer's experience. I have received practically none.I can't and will not just simply sit hear not knowing what's going on. So....
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I did send you a message that I was working on the issue, and would get back to you. at 127 pm.

Now, I do understand where you are coming from however, I didnt want to reply till I had a substantial suggestion.

So here is where we stand. To verify what I am saying, you can google this search term " hard drive noises"

Now, this normally and almost always means either the drive is failing.. OR, theenclouse is failing.

So if we have any chance of saving your data.. You need to remove that drive from its outer case. I was trying to find instructions for the specific model of hard drive you have, and this was about as close as I couldget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB1a3Jz92Cg

If you can get the drive out of the case.. Then you can connect it to a powered cable set, or enclusre like this.

http://amzn.to/2fbcBvV

Or this

http://amzn.to/2fbfQ6H

The enclosure is simpler to use. And would allow you to connect the hard drive to your mac, and save your files.

I hope you understand the delay in responding.. I always consider that for the money a client pays, they deserve a fleshed out solution thats accurate to their specific situation, and has a real chance of solving the problem.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand what you are saying but you have to update your customer to some degree. I have been sitting here for almost an hour. It's 2:07 and I am finally getting something.So if I understand what your suggesting is that I need to open the drive. Once I open it I can do something to save the data. Is how to save the data the url you sent? I will try to open the drive.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Unless you have a spare hard drive enclosure already.

Or a spare USB / Hard drive cable adapter set.

Once you remove the drive from the enclosure.. You need one of the two examples I showed you in the amazon links.

The enclosure is simpler to use..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. I will look to purchase the enclosure. I assume I can get it from my local computer store. Once I have that are you saying I can connect it to the computer and save what's on the drive? I assume there is a chance the drive could be bad? If that is the case I assume one of the data recovery places is the only answer?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

If the drive is bad..

You may be able to fix it from the enclosure using disk utility..

http://www.howtogeek.com/236978/how-to-repair-disk-and-file-system-problems-on-your-mac/

Hopefully, its just the enclosure though..

Youre welcome to get back to me on this same conversation, when you do get your hands on an enclosure.. And I will help you use it if needed. As long as you reply on this same question page, there wouldnt be any further charges, etc.

Dustin S

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Hello again, I havent heard from you for a while. Did you still need help with this issue or not?

If you do not need help, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show that I was able to answer your questions. If you still need help, please send a reply so we can continue working on the issue.

Thanks again,

Dustin S.