Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

I am running windows 10 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron desktop.

Customer Question

I am running windows 10 64 bit on a Dell Inspiron desktop. i3-2100 CPU 3.10GHz. 4 gigs of ram. the machine takes forever to boot. I really don't need every application to be running constantly. Back in the days of XP I could easily remedy start up issues with msconfig. . now, I have no idea how to clean up this PC with windows 10. Can you steer me there please?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 30 days ago.

Hi Deborah, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can I remotely access your Dell computer so that I can directly check and fix your issues while you watch? I can check if your system is infected with malwares that eat up most of your system resources causing it to be really slow. I can cleanup the malwares for you then.

I can also check if there are tons of startup programs running automatically when you turn on the computer.

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

I don't want to pay an additional fee

Expert:  Jess M. replied 30 days ago.

Thank you for writing back and I respect your decision. The solution to this is best done through remote access. Just giving you the procedures is risky, since even a little error along the process can harm your system instead of fixing it.

With this regard, I will opt out so that other experts can assist you further without remote access.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Byron replied 30 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. You can do much the same thing

in Windows 10. Right-click the start menu button and select Run.

When the run box opens type: msconfig and click OK. Click the Services tab

and put a checkmark in the Hide all Microsoft Services box. Click Disable All>>Apply>OK.

Don't restart yet as this is where it gets a bit different than XP.

Right-click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

When the window opens, click More Details if you see it to expand the window.

With Task Manager open, click the Startup tab from the horizontal row at the top

You can select and disable startup items from there.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

thank you. once I have chosen to disable the ones I want, what is the next step? close task manager and then reboot?

Expert:  Byron replied 30 days ago.

Yes, restart the computer.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.

thank you

Expert:  Byron replied 30 days ago.

Did that make a noticeable difference in your startup time?

Expert:  Byron replied 28 days ago.

Hi. If you need assistance in the future, I can

be reached directly through this link: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-byron-/?rpt=3800