ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional technician.
56108293

I currently have a HP Touchsmart 520 PC. If I buy a DELL

Customer Question

I currently have a HP Touchsmart 520 PC. If I buy a DELL replacement computer.....will my programs, files, etc transfer from HP to DELL without problems?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 month ago.

Hi Nancy, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

Give me just a minute to review your question here.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 month ago.

Okay Nancy, I can answer this for you. Give me just a minute to type up some info for you.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 month ago.

Your FILES (photos, documents, videos, etc) will be easy to transfer. That's no problem, as they can just be copied to a storage drive or can be transferred over via a transfer cable. That's a simple process and you should have no problems.

However your PROGRAMS cannot be transferred like that. Any time you install a program on the computer, the actual installation process changes the computer by making what are called registry changes. These changes are only made during the installation process for the program, so in order to move the program to another machine the programs have to actually be installed on the machine using the original media (installer file, disc, etc). They cannot just be copied over the same way that your files can be.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know what questions you may have.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page the rate the answer at least 3 STARS/OK SERVICE or better to close our session out for now. You can always return to the question at a later time if you have further inquiries on this.