Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I have a Belkin OmniView SOHO KVM Switch attached to a dell

Customer Question

I have a Belkin OmniView SOHO KVM Switch attached to a dell OptiPlex 7040 with windows 7 professional and old model hp pc on windows xp. Sometimes when I switch to the dell pc in the kvm box the monitor does not come on. It is on but blank like it is not recognizing the dell pc. It does not happen often but when it does happen my only recourse is to shut off the dell pc and restart it. The monitor is turned on and works great when it is switched to the hp pc. What causes this and is there anything I can do to fix this??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Are you using DVI or VGA connections?

What kind of keyboard/mouse are you using?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

video connects are vga. keyboard is a Microsoft natural ergonomic 4000 ver 1 and the mouse is a regular wired dell mouse.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I've got the same kvm and and keyboard myself and occasionally have some of the same issues, can you try taking your keyboard and plugging it into the usb port on the front left corner of the switch, then after you hit the switch button, hit a couple of keyboard keys to wake the computer, and see if that is better recognized.

Let me know how that works.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Hey Nathan. Thanks for getting back to me on this. I dont have a usb port on the front of the kvm switch. All the connections are in the back. but when the monitor goes blank I did hit he keyboard to try to wake it up to no avail. Should I try to plug the kb in the back??

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Well it isn't on the front (maybe you have a really old model), but there should be one on the side (left corner, toward the front). Do you see that?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi Larry, just checking in. Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

yeah I dont have any usb connectins in the front at all. In the front i have just two button to switch between one pc and the other. Let me send you a pic of what I have. I send you the front and the back of my belkin soho kvm switch. Maybe that might help.back of the kvm switchFront of kvm switch

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the update, yes this is a very old version of this model then. Do try moving the keyboard if you can, it may even be worth using a usb to ps2 keyboard adapter if you have one handy, as that is where the wake command comes from primarily.

Have you ever tried the keyboard based switching? There are a few variations you can use, but print screen print screen 1 or ps ps 2 are the usually commands used to toggle (or a variation wth the scroll lock button twice, then 1 or 2 to pick which pc)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

ok. so you are saying get a usb to ps2 adapter for the keyboard and plug the ps2 adapter in the ps2 slot on the kvm box?? Should I try the same for the mouse?? Also I tried the ps ps1 and 2 but that did nothing. The only way to toggle that I know of by pressing the buttons on the front of the kvm.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Yes that is it exactly, though really for that to work the switch may also need a ps2 connection to the computers (which they may not even have). If you have one handy go ahead and try, but I wouldn't go buy one just to test as it isn't a guarantee.

The switching "hot keys" have to be programmed, the exact default and process to change is in the book that came with yours, but each model is a bit different and as this one isn't supported I'm not seeing any documentation for it anymore, just the current models.

Ultimately, you may end up needing to replace the switch, because there are no updates for it. Getting a newer model with DVI ports instead (if your pcs/monitors are compatible) will benefit you as well because it communicates better with the kvm and pcs to reduce the lag and switching issues