Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.
13568747

I was trying to send 7TB of data to India for a project. It

Customer Question

I was trying to send 7TB of data to India for a project. It got stopped in customs and apparently can be held there for up to a month...and this is causing us delays :-(
Is there any way I can digitally transfer 7TB of data from the US to India - given the wifi speeds on both ends?!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

Hey Katy, this is completely dependent on the upload speed on your end, and the download on the other side - but the fastest way to do this would be to overnight a drive it on disk....

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I sent it from LA to India and it took - and paid premium for express to get there in 3 days and now it is stuck in customs and apparently this is normal and can be there for up to a month...

So if I send another drive it will the same issue

Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

I see, and i guess that makes sense. So other wise you are strictly stuck on bandwidth on both sides....thats the bot***** *****ne, if your company happens to have a data center access where they host servers, that would be the very best you could do for bandwidth on your end, in India they would need the same....

To make it simple, if your upload speed is 5MB and their download is 50MB, you are stuck at 5. Make sense?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

7TB is a ton of data, this is all about bandwidth.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

So there are no professional services that will transfer the data for you?

Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

Not unless you have data center access....think about it, if you are slow to upload, what can you do? There is no magic answer here, these are simply facts....

Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

and more than likely the reciver of the data does not have the DOWNLOAD speed to get anything YOU push from here, do you understand that?

A packed freeway can not have cars get up to speed if its too congested, that is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

The problem is the other end...They are in India..and dont have access to that bandwigth..even then it would take nearly 2 weeks to transfer

Expert:  Tim replied 1 month ago.

so, thats that then.....you need to wait for the data to clear customs