Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

It isn't with my computer; but with the external hard drive

Customer Question

It isn't with my computer; but with the external hard drive I have.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: The model number of the hard drive is MDHD320-U
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, I haven't but I don't think that is the issue. I can't get it to turn on so I am wondering if the power cord could be bad.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of at this time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Can you please clarify to me the actual problem? Is it your external hard drive that is no longer turning on when you attach it to your computer?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Correct, the hard drive is no longer turning on.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. In this case, the very first thing to look at or check is the connecting cable. Please remove the cable from the external drive, then gently but firmly plug it back to the drive. Make sure that it is firmly attached or inserted to the drive to make the necessary contact.

Then plug it to your laptop's main USB slot. Do not plug it into any USB hub, but into a USB slot on the sides of your laptop.

If your laptop has multiple USB ports/slots, try inserting the drive to another USB port where it usually is inserted. See if Windows detects the drive this time.

If not, then you need to buy a new USB cable that is compatible with your external drive. By compatible, I mean a USB cable that will fit in to the external drive's port.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already tried plugging into different outlets and usb ports. Nothing had worked. It has been doing this for awhile. So how do i go about replacing the power cord and the usb cable to tbe hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No; just tell me how to go about getting another power cord and usb port for this external hard drive.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

You just need a new USB cable or cord for the external drive. This depends on the model and manufacturer of your external drive.

What is the make and model of your external hard drive?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P/N is 31641400
Model is MDHD320- U
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

What is the brand? Is it Seagate? Iomega?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Iomega
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. Give me a moment to check the compatible cable for this drive.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

So this external hard drive has its own power adapter. Since the drive is no longer turning ON, then definitely, the problem is the power adapter. If the drive is turning ON but cannot be detected by the computer, then the problem is the USB cable.

So I suggest that you buy the power adapter for the drive first.

Here is a sample listing where you can buy it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iomega-MDHD320-U-External-Compatible-Replacement/dp/B009H4D9GC

And this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Iomega-MDHD320-U-External-replacement-adaptor/dp/B00GQW5ZNS

They are the same adapters, 12V, the only difference is the number of pins.

I hope that helped.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks. I will look into this and order the power cord.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome. Please make sure to order the right one. It your wall socket has 3 holes, then order the one with 3 pins. Otherwise, order the one with 2 pins.

I hope that helped.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess