Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years repairing and installing computers. Comp TIA+ Certified
1567601

I have a Dell XPS 8910. I want to replace the onboard sound

Customer Question

I have a Dell XPS 8910. I want to replace the onboard sound card with a Sound Blaster ZXR, but I can't because it conflicts with the Dell installed card. Is there any way I can turn that thing off so that the SB ZXR will work on my computer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. You should be able to go into the BIOS and disable the on board sound. That would give priority to your add on sound card.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I get the directions? Also, do I need to put the new sound card into the PCI slot before I change the BIOS?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

To access the BIOS, restart the computer and watch the screen. You will see a menu flash to press the F2 key to enter the BIOS setup screen. Disable the on board audio first and save the settings then power off the computer and install the audio card.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll try. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

My pleasure.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't find anything that says audio. What else could it be? Under what tab in BIOS do I go under?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
b
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't find anything that says audio. What tab would it be under?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you getting my response?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't find anything that says audio.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

My apologies for the delay. Can you tell me the BIOS version you have please?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Try looking under the Advance tab in the BIOS and check to see if the audio setting is located there. It may be listed as Onboard Device Configuration.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan.
Dells says that you can't turn off the sound card via BIOS. I have disabled all but the Sound Blaster speakers. There is sound, but messed up. Channels glide back and forth with some crackle. Any other ideas? Gregg
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to locate the Onboard Device Configuration in the BIOS?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dan.
There is no Onboard Device Configuration listed at all. Dells says that you can't turn off the sound card via BIOS. I have disabled all but the Sound Blaster speakers. There is sound, but messed up. Channels glide back and forth with some crackle. Any other ideas? Gregg
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

That is unusual even for Dell? When you access the BIOS, is there also an option for System Setup you can select on the same screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi.
There is no option. Check out the discussion thread I am running: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19994115The Dell technician confirms the BIOS issue.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you have the manual for your computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Check the attachments to see if your motherboard matches please? If so, look at the audio connector on the diagram #16 to see if anything is connected to it.