Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.

I have an Iomega! Tb drive I purchased a few years back. I

Customer Question

I have an Iomega ! Tb drive I purchased a few years back. I had it connected to my old Mac-mini, and when I purchased my new Mac-mini I couldn't connect because the new Mac doesn't have a FireWire port (?). My 750 Gb Iomega drive looks to be running just fine . When I finally connected the*****using cable adapter, the system sees it but cannot use it because it isn't mounted, and then the Disk Utility won't reformat or re-partition it. Is there software I can download because the new Mac-mini does not have a CD- drive built in like the old one. I have tried to reformat on both the old and new Macs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Okay so in UNIX (which is what Apple OS is built upon) all hard drives need to be MOUNTED before they can be used or formatted or partitioned.

Mounting is kind of like initializing.

Although the drive is physically connected, it still has yet to mount.

Please give me a moment to review the necessary procedure for the mount process.

Also, the cable adaptor you are it a FireWire (drive side) to USB (mac-mini side)?

Can you tell me more about the adaptor......does it have a make and model?

Also,and you may have already done this, but its where we always start.

First, lets make 100% sure that the hard drive isn't showing up? Open a Finder window (File > New Finder Window) and scroll down to Devices. The hard drive should be here (underneath Remote Disc).

Okay, so if the FIRST step was already taken and the drive is NOT showing up as it should, lets check to see if a hard drive is connected, but not mounted - and then mount a volume - by following these steps:

1. Open Disk Utility (choose Go > Utilities to find it).
  2. Check to see if you can find the hard drive in the list on the left.
  3. If you can see the hard drive, check underneath it for a volume. (If it is present it will be greyed out.)
  4. Highlight the volume and click the Mount icon.

Are you still with me here?