david
david, Hardware Guru
Experience:  6+ years of hardware expertise
65089077

I am installing an Asus Maximus VIII Formula motherboard

Customer Question

I am installing an Asus Maximus VIII Formula motherboard into a Coolmaster HAF 932
case. However I do not appear to have been supplied with the 9 screws required to secure
the motherboard to the case. ( User Guide pg 2-2 ). I have the brass standoffs normally
used to attach a motherboard but no screws of the samr diamenter long enough to reach the case. Can you advise me of the correct diameter and length of screws required?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Tara replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The equipment you described, a CoolerMaswer HAF 932, usually comes with a parts box with the screws needed to secure the motherboard to the case. The screws that are needed are 9mm Hex 6/32. Since they get screwed into the standoffs, so they do not need to reach the case.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tara Buchanan

CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+

Microsoft Certified Professional

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The manual does not indicate that standoffs should be used, And even if they were the problem would not be solved.
The motherboard is significantly thicker than most motherboards because it has a backing which insulates it.
Your answer does not satisfy my concerns.
Expert:  david replied 3 months ago.

I would be glad to help. Although most cases come with the necessary mounting hardware for your motherboard, it is possible the screws were lost or not provided. If the standoffs fit properly into the case and the mounting positions match the positions on your motherboard, I would measure the thickness of your motherboard, and use the screw information provided earlier and take this information and one of the standoffs to your local hardware store. Make sure to test screws that either screw completely into the standoffs or that stop with a gap smaller than the thickness of the motherboard. Make sure the screws fit smoothly and snuggly into the standoffs. If you notice any resistance at all you should stop and try a different screw.

Also, most motherboard mounting screws are the same size as other common computer hardware mounting screws. If you have any other computer screws lying around, I would test those as well, as they often work. Make sure they pass the test I mentioned earlier.