Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Networking, hardware, software, various OS's, Email Web and domain hosting, DNS
63493917

Only: I have my p50 laptop display mirrored to an external

Customer Question

Customeronly:I have my p50 laptop display mirrored to an external via the HDMI port.
Now how do I connect my other external display to it? (which I will set as extended desktop)
It is an ASUS, with both DVI and HDMI ins.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Sorry, my auto respoonse has to go through before i can chat ......dumb design.

Anywyas.....im reviewing.....reply soon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think it matters, but I'm actually going to make the small ASUS display the mirror and the large Samsung the extended desktop.

Okay.....so the Lenovo P50, i need to pull the specs......se how many VIDEO outputs it has......normally there is only 2.

One is for the Main monitor (physically connected)

The other is for a single external monitor.

.

But i need to check specs. BRB

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when I bought, they said i can connect 4 monitors

I dont care WHAT they said......sales folks will lie straight to yoru face

Not saying it WONT do it....i just need to check

but in order to check the specs.....i need the serial number.

Should be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop.

Hello?

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
P50 NVQ3 4G E3-1505M v5 vPro
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4GB
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
those are the only numbers I have
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
20ENCTO1WW
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
4) USB 3.0, 1 Always-on Charging
(1) HDMI 1.4
(1) Mini DisplayPort™ 1.2
(1) Thunderbolt™ 3
(1) RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
(1) Docking Connector
(1) Microphone / Headphone Combo Jack
(1) Smart Card Reader (Optional)
(1) ExpressCard / 34 mm
(1) SDXC

Okay, so natively, you can only connect 3 displays, all using different connections

Connection 1 is the HDMI port.

Connection 2 is the Mini Display Port

Connection3 is the ThunderBolt port

.

Now you could use USB to Video adaptor for more. But with those 3 connections PLUS the internal monitor brings you to a total of 4 monitors.

.

So....yeah, you could connect 3 monitors NATIVELY, and the internal monitro as the 4th......YOu have 4 monitors.

.

Make Sense?

Something to keep in mind here....is the each monitro will need to have the appropriate port that matches the laptops port. AND you need a cable.

.

For example, connection 1 is the HDMI port, and you use an HDMI cable for connection to the monitor SO that monitor MUST have an HDMI port. Connection 2 is the MiniDisplay port, and you need to use a Mini Display cable, AND the monitor needs to have a Mini Display port.

connection 3, is the thunderbolt port, and i think you know what im going to say here.

.

So all in all, you would need to have your monitors to each use a different connection.

Its not the end of the world, but, its a pain in the but. You could ofcourse use an adaptor for any of the ports and chage the from their native port (mini display, thunderbolt) to the HDMI format. But thats an additional purchase.

.

Im just trying to show you whats possible.

So, in this case the sales folks did not lie to you, they just didnt tell you involed it would be to connect the additional monitors.

Now, not all monitors will support all 3 ports. Matter of fact is highly unlikely that a monitor will have ALL of the possible ports (VGA, DVI, HDMI, Composite, Mini Display, Normal Sive Display port and ThunderBolt. There is a couple more, but are almost NEVER used on a computer monitor, and are normally reserved for Televisions, such as Componenet, and Coxial

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what's the best port to use for this second monitor, for good signal and compatibility.
(I will have to buy an adapter and cable, as all my monitors are HDMI)
(and, I'm assuming windows can handle having a monitor be and extension of a mirrored? can't imagine why not)

I dont think you can actually.

You have to choose Mirror Or extend.....you cant extend, and then Mirror.

No option in Windows for that im aware of.

However, that does not mean it cant be RIGGED to do this.

YOu just have to use a splitter.

One output goes to 2 moinotors......which essentially is a mirror.

Then you use the extend setting for the 3rd monitor.

Thats the ONLY way to do it. Atleast in Windows, thats the only way.

I can draw you a schematic on how i would do this.

And the adaptors you will need

.

So what do you want it to look like?

Mon1 and Mon2 to be mirror, and Mon 3 to extend off Mon1/2?

But there is a caveat.....your on a laptop, and you cant SPLIT the signal before it gets to the internal monitor. So its a bit of a wrench in the engine.

Tell me how you WANT it, and i will tell you if its possible, and how to do it.

The fact that this is a laptop makes it more difficult.

As the internal monitor is fixed, and the signal cant be externally changed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want one monitor to be a mirror of my laptop (since the laptop is closed and I can't see the screen).
I want the other monitor to be an extended, so that I get more working space.
(this is how I had it setup for my desktop computer, and I bought this laptop to replace it. I don't know how, but this compact laptop with 4k monitor was still cheaper than a bulky desktop with no monitor! very bizarre. or am a making a mistake doing this, as the laptop won't last if left on for 7 years?)

Well, if your are going to be EXCLUSIVELY using this laptop AS a desktop.....you should get a desktop.

But if you intend on using it for its portability features (take it with you to work or wherever) then a laptop that is considered a desktop-replacement, is the way to go.

I understand the price might have been lower, but did you compare EVERY SINGLE SPEC?

The video chip/card is where alot of the price difference is found.

Apples to Apples.......laptops are okay, but you cant UPGRADE them in anyway. You cant change their video card, you cant change CPU, you cant change power supply, you cant change the Mobo, or the fans.

You can only (sometimes) upgrade RAM and the hard drive.

Laptops are just not as future proof.

But i think we can get the monitors to display how you want using this laptop.

We can turn off the internal display, so you ONLY use the external displays.....and THEN we can shift the main display to the external, and then Extend to a second or third monitor.

Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
question. with your plan, will the internal display know to turn back on each time I unplug the cable going to the monitor? otherwise I'll have a dead laptop.I didn't plan on expanding the hardware, except maybe adding RAM down the road.
I paid $1700 for this workstation, and apples to apples, it was way cheaper than desktops. I don't know why.
Unless you recommend otherwise, I'm ok with sticking with it, I just need to get my keyboard and mouse to work correctly on it, as right now they do not. (if we decide I should stick with this laptop, I will post a separate question to you about the keyboard and mouse, because it's driving me crazy)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think I fixed the mouse.

So when you turn an Internal display off, then you HAVE to use an EXTERNAL monitor to turn it back on.

So yeah, your right......if you disconnect all monitors with yoru internal monitor off, you could be facing a problem.

But there is a fail safe (the BIOS splash screen happens every time no matter is internal is on or off) becaues you use the BIOS to turn the internal on and off, you can always be able to turn on the internal without an external monitor, but its tricky.

YOu only have about 2 seconds to enter BIOS when you power on the laptop, if you miss it, you have to restart the machine again.

But the same is true when you have an external monitro connected.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, it turns out the mouse only worked for a moment, and then stopped again, so let's do this.
Since I have to have a mouse that works, I'll open a question for you to solve it first, because otherwise it doesn't make sense to solve the display.

I can dig a bit deeper, pull User Manual for this machine......

Some machines use software to turn off internal monitor, and some allow you to use BIOS to turn it off.

Teh difference is, that if you use software (typically the video chip control software like Nvidia or MSI), then you need an external monitor to turn the internal monitor back on.

But if you use BIOS to turn internal off, then you shold still be able to get back into BIOS, using the internal) even after you turn the internal off.

Making that kind of a fail safe

Okay, you can preceed your mouse question with FORCustomer ONLY

And i will get it

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, I will work on the keyboard issue on my own, and also disable sleep so it just stays on year-round.
So to finish up this display solution, I first go into bios and disable internal monitor? and the current mirrored external monitor will still display? And then I connect a Mini Display Port cable to the laptop, with an HDMI adapter on the other end plugged into the second monitor. Windows will recognize that second monitor, and I will set it as extension of the first.Do I have it all right?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
please pause this question while I find out if I can return this laptop.
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 2 months ago.

okay, i can leave this question open for now.

As far as the monitors go, YOu might be best served with a DOCKING STATION for that laptop.

This will give much more flexibility for your monitors, as the docking station will have monitor outputs.

.

But if you DO get to retunr the laptop, and instead get a desktop.

Let me know, and we can continue to get your multiple monitors connected.