Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience installing networks for small and large companies. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science.
23372949

I recently purchased from you and additional 4 GB of RAM for

Customer Question

I recently purchased from you and additional 4 GB of RAM for my Dell 15 3000 that I also recently purchased from you.
Can you please provide me with instructions on how to install this additional RAM card ?
Thanks
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Brent Woolverton replied 3 months ago.

I hope you are having a great day! I see that you have purchased new memory for your Inspiron 15 3000. The first step is to unplug your notebook and take the battery out. Next you will notice on the bottom of the notebook a cover with a single screw. Remove that screw and take off the cover. It may take a little bit as they use plastic tabs to keep this in place. When you open the cover, you should notice that there is another memory stick in place. If I am correct, this unit can only handle one memory stick at a time (RAM). If it can handle two, you will notice an open slot right above the first.

To install the RAM you will insert the RAM into the slot at a 45 degree angle from the notebook and gently press down until it snaps into the locks. If you are replacing the current ram, press the metal clips outwards to release the current stick. Then you will replace with the previous instructions provided.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
on the bottom their are 9 screws. Which one exactly are you saying I use to remove the cover ?

Can you please provide me with your Dell service tag number? Perhaps I am looking at the wrong version of the Dell 15 3000. Thank you

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I do not understand this whole process and why I needed to pay even $14 just for you to give me a 'no answer' and want more money. Why is this service not covered under my warranty ? I will complain to your Corporate HQ..

I apologize, but there are many versions of the Dell 15 3000. With the Dell Service Tag number I will be able to locate your exact model so that I can better assist you with. In addition, I haven not requested any additional funds, and am not sure what you are inquiring about. We are not affiliated with Dell, therefore I cannot answer your question with the warranty with 100% certainty. Typically with most computer manufacturers, adding new memory is not part of their warranty as it was not part of their original hardware. If you are replacing bad memory and you are within the first year of your warranty, I would heavily recommend you contacting Dell technical support for warranty work covered under their warranty guidelines.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Forget it !

I would be happy to assist you if require our assistance in the future. I am sorry if there was any confusion on our behalf. Have a wonderful day.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 months ago.

on the opposite side from the battery there is one section of plastic that has one screw right in the middle of it. unscrew that and the section slides off away from the battery.

the memory is under there on the right hands side.

this page has a video showing how to take that section of the cover off and replace the memory. We did not sell you this memory and the laptop has only one slot so you can not use "an additional 4 gb" you would have had to purchase a DD3RL chip that had more memory than you already had in there and replace the existing chip with the new one. The video also shows how to replace the hard drive. You can ignore that part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAsby9zH62o