Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Since the Tandy II Ive been utilizing and repairing hardware components. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

On Windows 8 I can't boot the system. Just get stuck on

Customer Question

On Windows 8 I can't boot the system. Just get stuck on screen with date and time.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Aboutv4 hours
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried turning on and off but no more. No system disc.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Does this service cost?!
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

For written support its difficult for me to see exactly what the cost is due to currency conversion rates which are done automatically, but it looks like the total fee for written support would be about 38$ US.

If you dont want to proceed with support I can send you the refund link. Other wise, I need to know the full name brand and model of the computer you are using.

Also, are you using a USB keyboard and mouse, or a wireless or Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, happy to go ahead. It's an HP Pavilion 23 and, wireless mouse and keyboard
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, are you there?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

When you say wireless mouse and keyboard.. That makes me think that the machine has lost contact with the mouse and keyboard. reasons this could happen, either the mouse or keyboard have run out of batteries. or, the driver was corrupted, or, somehow the system disabled the wireless mouse and keyboard.

So if changing the batteries and resyncing your mouse and keyboard with windows running, doesnt restore your input. Then, what you want to do is purchase a cheap usb mouse and keyboard so we can temporarily get past the windows login screen.. And then use the mouse and keyboard to either reinstall the wireless mouse and keyboard software, or to re-enable the mouse and keyboard either in your devices section, or the device manager section.

These are all steps I could help you do on screen if you wanted.. But for now, you need to find or borrow a normal usb corded mouse and keyboard so we can get past the login screen. ( unless changing the batteries on the mouse and keyboard solve the issue)

It doesnt have to be expensive, for example this set will get you up and running and then we can reinstall the software / drivers for the wireless mouse and keyboard.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The light is still on on the mouse; I also try pressing Alt Ctrl Del and get no response. Doesn't that mean there's a more significant problem?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

The light being lit on the mouse, doesnt mean that the mouse & keyboard both are working properly.

For instance, when you move the mouse or click, does the screen respond? O, when you double tap the enter key on the keyboard?

Ive seen this exact issue hundreds of times, its almost always the mouse as if there was a more significant issue, windows wouldnt load to the login screen you are at. ( as windows is actually loaded in the background, its only your specific account / profile that isnt loaded yet since no password ***** been entered.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'll try that. If that doesn't work, can I come back to you?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

You absolutely can, and I implore you too.. because when this works, we probably will need to update the drivers or software for the wireless keyboard and mouse.

And maybe run a few other targeted repairs..

To get back to me, ei ther view one of the replies from justanswer in your email, and then click view reply and it will bring you back to this conversation page.

Or, go back to, click login at the top right, then click my questions at the top right and then click on our question, scroll down and reply.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great, thank you. I won't be able to do this until tomorrow.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Thats not a problem.. I will be working from 2 pm till 1 am UK Time.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dustin,So I now have a new mouse and keyboard - which work fine on my laptop - but are not functioning on the desktop where I had my problem.J
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Lets try this. Remove the USB dongle that connects your wireless mouse and keyboard.

Now, plug in the usb mouse and keyboard. Now, u nplug the computer from power completely. Then, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Then, plug the machine in and start it up.. Will the keyboard and mouse work now?