GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS Degree & 15+ Years supporting Mac and Windows Desktops and Laptops,Printers, and other computer hardware

UltraNav problem Part 1. I exclusively use the TracKPoint,

Customer Question

UltraNav problem
Part 1.
I exclusively use the TracKPoint, rather than the TouchPad for screen navigation. So I turn off the TouchPad by unchecking Enable TouchPad on the UltraNav tab in MouseProperties.
However, my computer keeps turning it back on, at irregular invervals. Is there a way I can disable the TouchPad in the Bios settings?
Part 2.
My wife has a less expensive Lenovo ThinkPad. She wants to do the same, but the UltraNav tab isn't there in MouseProperties.
Please help us both. Thanks.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Let's begin with your wife's computer since that is probably going to be the easiest problem to solve. Can you tell me the exact model for her computer please and also, let me know what operating system she has on her computer?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Here's how to Disable your Touchpad via the BIOS. This should work for all Thinkpads.

1. Shut down your ThinkPad then power it on.
  2. When the ThinkPad logo comes up, immediately press F1 to enter the BIOS Setup Utility. If your system has a Supervisor password ***** then you'll need to type it in when requested.
  3. Now use the cursor keys to navigate the menus until you find the one that relates to the TouchPad.
  4. Toggle the setting from Enabled to Disabled.
  5. Then press ESC until you get back to the Main Menu.
  6. Save the updated BIOS settings and then Reboot to Windows.

Note: If you are unsure of what Fn key to press when the ThinkPad is booting, try pressing Enter button and select the bios from there.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 2 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.