Russell H., Computer Repairer
Experience:  Working to keep PC-type computers working since 1988.

I own a Logitech M570 trackball mouse. I have used it for

Customer Question

I own a Logitech M570 trackball mouse. I have used it for about 2 years. Initially the batter lasted for months. But for the past couple of months the battery dies in 10-15 days and I have to change it. I have been using Rayovac all this time. The AA batteries have expiry date of 2024.I have used Harbor Freight brand of AA battery as well but the result is the same.For the two years I have left the computer on, when not in use, with screen saver activated but the monitor turned off.Is this a design pattern the manufacturer has used to force replacement of hardware after certain period of time?
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I don't think it's a pattern by the manufacturer. I think it is an abnormal failure, that I have not heard reported much at all. (Which is evidence that it is abnormal rather than designed.)

Being 2 years old, the mouse is out of warranty. Aside from cleaning the terminals of both the battery compartment and the batteries themselves, with a clean dry cloth possibly moistened with a little rubbing alcohol, and trying one more time to let the batteries last... I think your mouse might need replacing, if only to save money on batteries.

What do you think? These cordless mouse devices have a tendency to save power by turning partially Off at times. Does your mouse seem to have lost that tendency?