hongkongpom
hongkongpom, MCDST
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer hardware problems
40928634

HP Media Vault 2120 not found on network ... I have 3 Media

Customer Question

HP Media Vault 2120 not found on network ... I have 3 Media Vaults with static IP addresses ... they have all been working fine, but I recently turned them off for about a month when I was traveling .... the most critical one with my documents on it turned on, but was not accessible via the HP Media Vault administrator web page, or via previously mapped drive. I do get a ping response from the MV. Tried taking the 2 mirrored drives from the MV and putting them into one of the other working MV ... got a ping response using the static IP address... but no access. Put the drives back into the MV they were originally in and now get a drive failure light on the 2nd (mirrored) drive. Do you have any suggestions about how to get my data off this MV. I don't know what else to try.
Category: Computer Hardware
Expert:  Kevin T replied 4 months ago.

If you took one drive out and put it on the other, the RAID controller will start rebulting the drive with the data from the previous one.

It looks like you have wiped the drive. As you still have another drive, If you put that in the working media vault, on its own it should access the data and rebuild it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I first shut down the Media Vaults before swapping drives and then restarting the MV ... I got a ping response to the same static IP address after I had moved the drives to another working MV. This leads me to believe that the static IP is configured on the drives and not the network adapter of the MV. Reinserting only one drive into the MV that is not found on the network does not result in any change, i.e., not found on the network. Putting all drives back into their MV cases resulted in the same original problem, .... 2 vaults accessible, one not found on the network.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 3 months ago.

It sounds like you have two problems. A failed drive and unreachable MV. You say that you can ping the MV but not reach it using the admin webpage. Can you try to take it off a static IP and let it get a dynamic IP and see if it's now visible?

​If still no luck can you try changing the IP to another static and see if that helps?

​The drives are just storage. Any network configuration is done by the MV adapter.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I figured the problem out myself ... when the MV was off line for awhile, DHCP gave the static IP address to another computer because it was not reserved .... releasing the IP for the statically configured MV from the computer and shutting it down allowed the MV to use the IP that it had been configured to use.

Thank you for the good news so my advice helped you solve the problem. Please kindly rate my service if I have helped you today